All University owned computers must be named using the following naming standard:
Three Letter Building Abbreviation + Three or Four Digit Room Number + Optional Information
|University Building Abbreviations:
||Agriculture Technology Center (Pioneer Farm)
||Child Care Center
||Center for the Arts
||Living & Learning Center (Pioneer Farm)
||Pioneer Student Center
|| Royce Hall
|| Russell Hall
Gardner Hall Room 160 = GAR160
Boebel Hall Room 160A = BOE160A
Ottensman Hall 110 = OTT110
Pioneer Student Center Room 1208 = PSC1208
Warner Hall Room 129 Laptop = WAR129LT
If multiple computers in one room, add something descriptive on to the end of the computer name
Letter (A, B, C, ...)
Location Northwest (NW) Southwest (SW)
Use the naming standard listed above and add something descriptive at the end such as LT for Laptop.
How to name a Windows Computer:
To change the name of a Windows workstation please follow these steps.
- While at the desktop click on Start then Settings then Control Panel
- Within the Control Panel open the icon labeled System.
If the window that pops up looks like the following image, you will need to click on Performance and Maintenance
After opening the System Properties
, you should see a window with tabs at the top of the window.
Click the tab at the top that is labeled Computer Name
, your window should now look like this.
Click on the button Change
Then enter in the name of the computer in the top text box, like shown in the picture below.
After you are finished entering the name of the computer:
- Click Ok to continue,
- Then click the OK button in this window to finish.
- NOTE: this will require you to reboot your machine.
How to name a Macintosh Computer:
To change the name of a Mac computer, follow these steps:
- On the home screen click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and then click System Preferences
- Once that screen is loaded, open the icon that says Sharing
- At this screen you can see the current computer name. Click Edit to change the name of the comptuer.
- In this screen you can enter in the new name of the computer.
How to name a Linux Computer:
Note: This name should be set as the hostname for any linux computers.