About the Forgotten or Expired Password Service (UWP Password Self-Service)
What is Password Self-Service?
- The Forgotten or Expired Password Service, also known as UWP Password Self-Service, is a service that allows users to easily manage their NetID password. The user can use this service once they are issued a UWP NetID and setup the challenge and response questions used by the service. The challenge and response questions only need to be set up once. If for any reason you wish to change the responses to your challenge questions you can do this at any time using the service.
Why Should I Use Password Self-Service?
- Using the service allows you to change your password at any time as long as you have access to a web browser.
- Since the service is online, you won't have to visit campus to have IT staff reset your password.
- As long as you remember the responses to your challenge questions you won't have to worry about having your Campus ID with you to reset your password.
- It saves you time by allowing you to reset your password and immediately regain access to network resources.
- We encourage everyone to use the service especially if you are a distance learning student or going to be studying abroad!
What Should I Remember While Setting Up the Forgotten or Expired Password Service?
- Your responses are case sensitive. If you type Joe for your father's middle name, the service will only see Joe as valid; joe will be an invalid response.
- Responses must be at least two characters long.
- Give responses that you know you will remember. You can of course reset your responses but if you've forgotten your password and are using the service to reset it, you'll need to know what your initial responses were.
What If I Haven't Set Up the Forgotten or Expired Password Service?
- If you've forgotten your password or it's expired you will need your password reset by the Help Desk, Lab Consultants, ResNet or one of the Distributed Support Staff. You will have to have your Campus ID or a picture ID with you and will be limited by the hours of the staff available to reset passwords.
- You have to come to campus to get your password reset. Your password cannot be reset over the phone.
- You will increase the time delay in your password being reset and your ability to access network resources.
- Most importantly: Once your password has been reset...Setup your challenge and response questions!