Section: ISSS

On-Campus Employment

Working at the Pioneer Perk

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, F-1 students may work at any qualifying on-campus job that does not displace a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR). They can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and they may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student's annual break.

Looking for a job on campus?

Option 1: Go to the Financial Aid Office

To help you determine what work type you qualify for, visit the Financial Aid office located on the second floor of Brigham Hall. They will have the most up to date job information for you. You can also visit the Job Board outside the Financial Aid Office, 212 Brigham Hall.

Option 2: Search Online

You can look online for jobs on campus; however, please note that not all campus jobs are posted online. To search online for job openings on-campus, please follow the instructions below:

  • Go to
  • Click on "F" in the A-Z index and go to the Financial Aid page
  • Click Job Board Search
  • Type in a job you're looking for or click Submit to see all jobs available. Make sure you choose the option "on campus" location.

Found a job you are interested in?

The next step is to contact the supervisor. He or she will tell you how to apply for the job. Some supervisors just want an interview, while others want you to write an application letter.

Get Hired?

If you get hired, your supervisor will need to write a letter to confirm that you will be hired for the job, including your position title, the number of hours/week you will work, a statement about what you will do, and when you are expected to start the job. The letter should also include your supervisor's contact information.

You must report to the Financial Aid office, Payroll, the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, and the Social Security Administration office to complete the necessary paperwork. Not complying with these guidelines for on-campus employment may be a violation of status that could result in you having to leave the United States.

If you are hired to work on campus but do not yet have a social security number, you will need to apply for a social security card.

Footer Anchor