The Writing Center now offers evening tutoring on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6-9 pm in Heritage Hall inside the Markee Pioneer Student Center. To make an appointment, click the orange "Make an Appointment" button and select "Writing Center-MPSC Heritage Hall" from the schedule menu. Walk-ins are welcome if a tutor is available.
Available to all UW-Platteville students, Writing Center appointments are free one-on-one sessions with experienced fellow writers trained to consult on assignments in any discipline and other writing-related projects.
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment, click on the orange button below or to the right. The first time you use this system, you will need to register for an account. Click here for detailed instructions on using this system.
Please note that all Writing Center appointments are still conducted in-person, either in the Writing Center, Brigham Hall, 3rd floor (regular business hours) or in Heritage Hall in the Markee Pioneer Student Center (Tuesday and Wednesday, 6-9 pm). This online system makes it easier to schedule appointments.
You can also visit the Writing Center on the 3rd floor of Brigham Hall or call us at 608.342.1081 to make an appointment or to get assistance using the appointment system. Drops-ins are welcome at the Brigham location, but the best way to secure an appointment is to schedule in advance.
What to expect FROM your writing appointment
When you make your appointment:
• Based on the length of the paper, you should schedule either a 30 or 60-minute session. Typically, fewer than 5 pages can be discussed in a 30-minute session.
When you arrive for your appointment:
- Please bring your student ID, as you will be asked to check in with it.
- Bring your prompt/assignment sheet, rubric, notes, and any drafts of your writing.
- Be prepared with specific questions about the assignment, your draft, or writing in general.
During the appointment:
• Your tutor will respond to your writing and your questions as a critical reader and peer, identifying what is working and what can be improved, helping you plan your revisions, and discussing important principles of writing.
• The tutor will address higher-level concerns first, such as responding to the prompt, focus, and organization before working on style, grammar, word choice, and punctuation.
• You and your tutor will have a conversation that guides you through the writing process and encourages you to become a more independent thinker and writer. We will not simply proofread or edit your paper.
Writing Center Hours
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Schedule an Appointment
Call 608.342.1081 for assistance