Symphony Orchestra Concerto & Aria Competition
Dr. Thomas Taylor Dickey, Music Director & Conductor
Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
2013 Concerto & Aria Competition Rules
- The competition is open to any UW-Platteville student who is enrolled in applied music study during the 2013-2014 school year.
- Previous winners of the competition are not eligible to compete within consecutive years.
- Entry forms are available on the UW-Platteville Symphony Orchestra’s bulletin board or at the bottom of this page. The signatures of the applicant and applied teacher are required on the entry form. The applicant must return the completed form with all signatures to Dr. Dickey no later than Friday, November 22, 2013.
- The timing for the applicant’s selected work shall be between six (6) and twenty (20) minutes. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the orchestra conductor. Singers may select two (2) shorter pieces in order to meet the minimum time limit.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with Dr. Dickey about their aria/concerto to discuss the orchestral accompaniment, availability of the music, rental fees, etc.
- An accompanist will not be provided. It is the responsibility of the students to secure their own accompanists for rehearsals and the competition.
- Although not required, students are strongly encouraged to memorize their music for the competition. The judges may look more favorably on those who have their piece memorized.
- Any student who is unable to attend the competition for any reason will be disqualified. No make-ups are allowed.
- The competition will not be open to the public.
- The orchestra conductor will be present at the competition, but will not adjudicate. The competition jury will consist of noted musicians from outside the UW-Platteville faculty.
- One winner will be chosen. An exception may be made at the discretion of the conductor and the judges.
- The winner of the competition will appear in concert with the UW-Platteville Symphony Orchestra on the May 2014 spring concert.
- The music with which the student won must be the same as the music the student will perform in May 2014. Exceptions may be made only at the discretion of the orchestra conductor.