Getting started at UW-Platteville

Application and acceptance
If you have already completed an undergraduate degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above, and are interested in advancing in your career please contact UW-Platteville’s School of Education at 608-342-1276 to request an application.

The application process includes completing an application form, providing official transcripts from the university which granted the bachelorís degree, and a nonrefundable fee of $56. If possible, please apply 2-3 months before the semester in which you plan to begin the program. If you wish to start taking classes before applying to the program, you can register as a special student.

Program plan
A standard program plan has been developed for students in this off-campus program, based on the required areas of study for the MSE degree and the schedule of courses offered through the School of Education. If you choose to include other graduate courses in your discipline to meet the degree requirements (particularly in the concentration area), the program plan can be adjusted. In addition to identifying your courses, you will prepare a Goals Statement to personalize your program plan before it is approved by the Director, School of Education.

Degree requirements
To complete your degree, you must earn a minimum of 32 credits of graduate level course work. All candidates must complete a thesis (3-6 credits), seminar paper (2-3 credits), or educational project (3 credits), and a least one credit of practicum. At least 20 credits must be taken through UW-Platteville. Graduate credits taken at other accredited institutions may be transferred into the program with approval of your advisor, the School of Education and the School of Graduate Studies (credits must have been earned within 7 years of date of admission to UW-Platteville). The actual credits applicable to your degree program will be determined by your advisor and the School of Education. Finally, as a graduate student, you must maintain a 3.00 grade point average, demonstrate research and writing proficiency, and complete a comprehensive examination. Only courses in which a student earns a C or higher may be applied to the degree.

Go to Human Services Concentration or to Vocational/Technical Concentration for further information.