Welcome to Melcher Hall
Melcher Hall, named after Milton L. Melcher and built in 1966, is home for approximately 255 men. Melcher Hall residents are active in numerous campus and community events. Melcher Hall residents enjoy a recently renovated Party/Game Room and basement, which includes a newer kitchen for special meals, television area, and meeting area.
From the Desk of the Resident Director
I hope you had a fun, restful, and excellent spring break. Welcome back!
Construction Corner: Melcher Hall is officially beginning construction from April 11th through the end of the semester. I would like to thank all the students for their flexibility and understanding as this construction begins. As the Director of Residence Life mentioned at our Hall Forum meeting, a renovation of this scope would not be possible if we did not begin during the spring semester. Thank you for all those students who came to our meeting and gave feedback to our campus designer. Please refer to this website and your campus email for all updates.
Schedule of upcoming events:
- 4/21/16 Construction personnel will be entering select rooms on the 4th floor to access vent locations. These individuals will be accompanied by university personal in all student rooms.
- The week of April 26th will include saw-cutting construction in the basement. This construction will be extremely loud.
- Finals week will include non-noise construction activity in the basement.
- The TV from the west basement has been moved to the East basement for student use.
- Study rooms are currently open in the East basement for student use.
- Computer lab has been moved to room 205 for the rest of the semester.
- The kitchen stove is in the laundry room and available for student use.
- Throughout the rest of the semester the East basement Women's restroom will be accessible to any guests.
- Students will have access to the laundry room on weekdays beginning at 6pm and ending access at 9am. Laundry will be accessible on the weekends from 6pm Friday until 9am Monday.
- Temporary walls are currently being constructed to indicate which areas of the basement are still open for student use.
- Parking for construction vehicle use is clearly indicated in lot 19. Any student found parking in these areas may be subject to ticketing and towing.
- Motorcycle / moped parking has been put up the hill behind Melcher, across from the bicycle racks. The new location is clearly labeled.
- Recycling / garbage containers have been moved to the Lot 19 parking.
- Please stay tuned to this website and your university email for further updates throughout the semester.
- If you have any questions please feel free to email me, stop by my office (143b across from the front desk), or sign up for an open office hour on my office door.
Hall Forum: Everyone is invited to attend Melcher's Hall Forum. The building meets every Tuesday from 9pm - 10pm in one of Melcher's floor lounges. These meetings include hearing about current events / opportunities for students (information about on-going free activities, possible job openings, and other stuff happening around campus), voting on a weekly Melcher Man (they get a trophy) and a weekly Melcher Moron (they goofed and get a skeleton). Lastly the Hall Forum has transitioned to a weekly social game night for all residents to participate in. Previously students would vote and partake in a large meeting and due to student feedback we are switching to a relaxed atmosphere were we will be hosting different games and occasionally include some voting topics. Come check out the change.
Melcher Madness: Every year Melcher hosts an annual sports tournament and donates all proceeds to a charity. The sport this year is volleyball and we will be having our tournament on Apirl 16th from 4pm until the end of the tournament. This is a six vs six volleyball tournament with mixed genders (no rules about ratios) and the cost to participate will be $12 ($2per person). All proceeds will be donated to WATR a clean water non-profit organization. Registration information will be coming out shortly, so keep an eye out for that. Not a Volleyball person? Consider coming out anyway, we will be playing music, having yard games in the large grassy area in between Dobson and Morrow, and later that night we will have a fire for anyone that wants to stay.
Room Sign-up: The room reservation process is currently open. For more information please visit this site.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every day is a great day to be a Pioneer!
Melcher Hall Resident Director