This pane clears float!
For Department courses
Many of the courses in the Department require calculators. Below are the requirements and recommendations for specific courses.
a) For the following courses, a scientific calculator (such as one of the TI-30 models) or a graphing calculator (such as the TI-83, 84, 85, 86 or the TI-Nspire with TI-84 keypad) is required:
- MATH 1530 College Algebra
- MATH 1630 Finite Mathematics
- MATH 1730 Mathematics of Finance (No business calculators allowed.)
- MATH 1830 Elementary Statistics
- MATH 2450 Precalculus
- MATH 2530 Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry
- MATH 2640, 2740, and 2840 Calculus I, II, and III
- MATH 2730 Discrete Mathematics
- MATH 3630 Differential Equations I
- MATH 4030 Statistical Methods with Applications
However, for a student enrolling in a 1000-level course who does not already own a graphing calculator, it is recommended that a purchase of a graphing calculator be delayed until after the first class meeting when an instructor will provide specific calculator requirements for that class.
b) In the remedial courses, Math 10 Elementary Algebra and Math 15 Intermediate Algebra, scientific calculators are required. Graphing calculators may not be used during any test or the Final Exam.
c) Calculators with Computer Algebra Systems (CAS), (e.g. the TI-89, TI-92 and TI-nspire with CAS keypad, or their equivalent), are not allowed in any of the math classes.
d) In other courses, calculators may be required, but there is no specification as to type.
e) Individual instructors may restrict the use of any type of calculator in their class.
for Remedial Classes
A Scientific calculator is required for Math 10 and 15. Some brands are not allowed because of capabilities that interfere with the course objectives. Students should carefully check their calculators to make sure they have one on the following approved list.
These calculators are approved for all Math 10 and 15 activities and tests:
- TI-30X IIB (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- TI-30X IIS (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- TI-34 II Explorer Plus (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- TI-36X II (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- TI-36X Solar (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- Casio FX-115MSPlus (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- Casio FX-300MSPlus (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- Casio FX-260Solar
- Casio FX-250HC
- Sharp EL-531WBBK (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- Sharp EL-531WBBL (also sufficient for Math 1830)
- Sharp EL-501WBBK
- Sharp EL-501WBBL
- Sharp EL-500WBBK
The following calculators are NOT allowed for any Math 10 or 15 tests:
- Any Graphing or Programmable calculator.
- Any cell phone - phones need to be stored away during class
- TI-30XS MultiView
- TI-34 MultiView
- TI-36 Pro
- Casio FX-115ES
- Casio FX-300ES
- Sharp EL-520WBBK
- Sharp EL-506WBBK
- Sharp EL-W516B
- Sharp EL-W535B
- Basic calculators do not have enough features for Math 10 or 15.
- Business / Financial calculators are not appropriate for Math 10 or 15.
Pictures of some of the prohibited calculators are on this page.
This pane clears float!