Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
Use RefWorks, citation tool for UWP users to build bibliographies or create a personal database of records.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- African American Music Reference 50,000 pages of text reference, biographies, chronologies, sheet music, images, lyrics, liner notes, and discographies which chronicle the diverse history and culture of the African American experience through music. A comprehensive coverage of blues, jazz, spirituals, civil rights songs, slave songs, minstrelsy, rhythm and blues, gospel, and other forms of black American musical expression.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index A citation index can be searched by author, topic and citation.
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music OnlineA comprehensive resource devoted to music research of all the world's peoples. Includes 1,200+ essays and images from 10 sources and hundreds of audio examples.
- Humanities Full Text "Includes many of the most important academic journals in the humanities with the full text of articles from over 300 periodicals dating back to 1995, and high-quality indexing for almost 700 journalsóof which 470 are peer-reviewedódating as far back as 1984. The database provides coverage of feature articles, interviews, bibliographies, obituaries, and original works of fiction, drama, poetry and book reviews, as well as reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, radio and television programs, plays, operas, and more."
- Humanities International Complete A comprehensive database covering journals, books and other important reference sources in the humanities from around the world. includes all data from Humanities International Index (more than 2,100 journals and 2.47 million records) plus unique full text content from more than 890 journals.
- Music Index Online An index of 640 international periodicals concerned with every aspect of classical and popular music.
- Naxos Music Library Naxos Music Library is a comprehensive collection of classical music, it includes the catalogues of over 85,000 tracks, including Classical music, Jazz, World, Folk and Chinese music.
- Oxford Music Online A gateway into music research and the access point for new and forthcoming Oxford music reference subscriptions and products which include, but are not limited to The Oxford Dictionary of Music; Grove Music Online database and The Oxford Companion to Music.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Music
- Abridged Dictionary of ComposersBrief biographical information about composers with links to recordings of their works.
- Classical ComposersBiographical information about classical composers offered from Homo Ecumenicus, a music publishing firm.
- The Classical Music NavigatorA classical music resource from Western Kentucky University.
- Genres and Types of MusicCatagories include 20th Century music, Ambient music, Bluegrass, Blues, Choral music, Ethnic music, Folk music and more.
- Music Sites ListA Carnegie Mellon University, Heinz School of Public Policy and Management Site.
- Musicals101.comHistory of the musical theater from the operetta to the 1990's.
- Worldwide Internet Music ResourcesThe William and Gayle Cook Music Library of the Indiana University School of Music provides this web site of organized links to music resources on the World Wide Web, including: composers and composition, research, and performance sites.
- Classical Net Excellent, comprehensive site maintained by Dave Lampson.
- World Wide Jazz WebThis award-winning site has links to jazz musicians, jazz groups, jazz festivals, jazz magazines, and more jazz sites.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Department of Fine Arts - Music at UW-Platteville
- The Music Office is located in 180 Doudna and the contact person is David Cooper. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1143.
- John Berg is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Music program. Contact John at (608) 342-1355 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in Music. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org