Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
- ABI/Inform Complete A collection of three unique databases to national and international business information: ABI/INFORM Global; ABI/INFORM Dataeline; and ABI/INFORM Trade & Industry.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- Applied Science & Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
- Business Source Premier Indexes and abstracts more than 2,300 business periodicals and newspapers.
- Education Full Text "Provides full text of articles from over 350 journals as far back as 1996, in addition to indexing of over 770 periodicals dating back to 1983. Content includes in-depth coverage of special education, with over 50 journals dedicated to this important topic, and more than 100,000 controlled and cross-referenced names of educational tests. Subject coverage includes adult education, continuing education, literacy standards, multicultural/ethnic education, teaching methods and much more."
- IEEE Xplore IEEE Xplore provides full-text access to IEEE transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings published since 1988 and all current IEEE Standards.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- SAGE Journals Online SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Full-Text is available for articles that have been published SINCE 1999.
- Web of Science Citation Databases Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
- Association for Career and Technical Education Founded in 1926, the ACTE is "the largest national education association dedicated to the advancement of education that prepares youth and adults for successful careers." Site includes a Resource Center (with a lesson plan library).
- International Technology Education Association Founded in 1939, the ITEA is "devoted to enhancing technology education through technology, innovation, design, and engineering experiences at the K-12 school levels." Site includes professional/curriculum development, publications, and TE resources.
- ASTM Standards in Building Codes, Ref TA404.5 .A45
- Building Construction Cost Data, Ref TH435 .B84
- Concrete Construction Handbook, TA681 .C745 1998
- Illustrated Dictionary for Building Construction, TH9 .T73 1993
- International Building Code, KF5701 .I524 2011
- Means Illustrated Construction Dictionary, TH9 .M4 1985
- RS Means Commercial Renovation Cost Data, TH3411 .R6
Codes & Standards
- American National Standards Institute Site includes standards activities and programs, library of public and ANSI member documents, and extensive Internet resources.
- ASTM International Standards Worldwide "An open forum for the development of high-quality, market-relevant international standards," this site includes searchable databases for standards and ASTM publications.
- DOE: Building Energy Codes "An information resource on national model energy codes," this site includes free software for residential and commercial compliance tools, an implementation tools Resource Center (with videos, graphics, PowerPoints, and articles), and a Status of State Energy Codes database.
- International Code Council Site includes sections on Codes and Standards, Government Relations, Certification and Testing, and Public Safety.
- Municode.com Municipal Code Corporation, a publisher of ordinance and land use codes and charters, provides an online library of codes for more than 1,600 local governments nationwide. Some documents are free for viewing.
- Blue Book of Building and Construction "Since 1913, The Blue Book of Building and Construction has been the construction industry's premier information source." Site includes updated information for regional editions, with a searchable database of over a million company listings and profiles.
- Building Online Online search directory of building industry professionals. Includes eUpdate, a news section for industry, product, and trade show news.
- National Institute of Building Sciences Established by Congress in 1974, NIBS is "the authoritative national source of knowledge and advice on matters of building regulation, science and technology." Site includes publications, reports, and information on NIBS programs and projects.
- Wisconsin Manufacturers Directory, T12 .W81
- Manufacturing Automation Online version of magazine, with additional resources of archives, research reports, software directory, marketplace search, and topic research on lean manufacturing and e-manufacturing.
- Manufacturing.net Comprehensive news resource for manufacturers. Includes sections on market sectors, industry (including manufacturing technology), global manufacturing, and free email newsletter subscriptions.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology The mission of NIST "is to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology." Information on NIST Laboratories programs, including manufacturing engineering; products and services; the NIST Research Library; and an A-Z subject index.
- ThomasNet Online version of Thomas Register. Also includes global directory, downloadable CAD drawings, product news, industrial market trends blog, and more services for registered users (registration is free).
- Association for Manufacturing Excellence Founded in 1985, AME is "dedicated to cultivating understanding, analysis and exchange of productivity methods." Site includes Target Magazine searchable archives.
- Association for Manufacturing Technology Online Founded in 1902, AMT "represents and promotes the interests of American providers of manufacturing machinery and equipment." Site includes extensive resources on manufacturing technology, manufacturing R&D, standards and regulations, statistics, business development and marketing, member product directory, and a news center.
- National Association of Manufacturers Founded in 1895, NAM is the largest national association for industrial trade. Site includes NAM Manufacturing Institute research, manufacturing and trade data, communications and media resources, and legislative information.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers Founded in 1932, SME is a "resource for manufacturing information and knowledge" for both industry professionals and the general public. Site includes resources on professional development, technical publications, and information specific to students, educators, members, and employers.
- Human Factors Design Handbook, Oversize TA166 .W57 1992
- Occupational Health and Safety Management: A Practical Approach, RC967 .R447 2009
- Occupational Health and Safety: Terms, Definitions, and Abbreviations, RC963 .A3 C66 1999
- Occupational Safety and Health Law, KF3570 .R67
- eLCOSH-Electronic Library of Construction Occupational Safety & Health This site's resources are "intended to provide accurate, user-friendly information about safety and health for construction workers from a wide range of sources worldwide." Also includes non-English materials. Developed by NIOSH.
- Haz-Map: Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Agents An occupational toxicology database, searchable by hazardous agents, occupational diseases, and/or high risk jobs. Includes a glossary and references. Developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Medline Plus: Occupational Health Includes extensive information on all aspects of occupational health. Developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Osh.Net: Occupational Safety and Health Network This site, an "internet gateway for occupational health and safety resources and information," includes a link directory (set-up similar to Yahoo!), articles and a resource center. Site operated by occupational health and safety experts.
- UW-Madison Safety Department Resources for biological safety, occupational health, chemical and environmental safety, lake safety, and radiation safety. Includes Safety First newsletter and archives.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Founded in 1939, the AIHA is for occupational and environmental health professionals. Site includes sections on Access to Information, Continuing Education, AIHA Laboratory Programs, and Information by Topic.
- American Society of Safety Engineers Founded in 1911, the "ASSE is the oldest and largest professional safety organization." Site includes professional development and education information, online newsletters, and searchable archives for Professional Safety journal (full-issue PDFs for members, indexes for non-members).
- Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors Formedd in 1949 as the Ergonomics Research Society. Site includes background information and resources on ergonomics.
- MSDS Provider Supplies free MSDSs to the public. Searchable by manufacturer or common name.
- Vermont SIRI MSDS Index Database of MSDS and chemical toxicology reports. Searchable by manufacturer, keyword, and NSN.
Materials Science & Processes
- Composite Materials Handbook, TA418.9 .C6 S38 1984
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology, Oversize TS195 .A2 W55 2009
- Science.gov Includes more than 55 databases and over 2,100 selected websites from 13 federal agencies, offering 200 million pages of authoritative U.S. government science information including research and development results.
- ScirusA comprehensive scientific research tool that allows researchers to search for journal content, scientists’ homepages, courseware, pre-print server materials, patents and institutional repository and website information.
- Occupational Outlook HandbookPublished by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this handbook is an important source of career information. The handbook covers hundreds of occupations and includes information about job duties, work environment, educational requirements, pay, and more. Each profile also includes employment projections for the 2010-20 decade.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Industrial Studies at UW-Platteville
- The Industrial Studies Office is located in 409 Tower. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1246.
- Judy Wurtzler is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Industrial Studies program. Contact Judy at (608) 342-1077 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sesssions in industrial technology. Her e-mail address is email@example.com.