Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
Use RefWorks, citation tool for UWP users to build bibliographies or create a personal database of records.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- America: History and Life More than 2,000 international journals covering U.S. and Canadian history. Includes some journals dealing with the history of a few foreign countries.
- Arts & Humanities Citation IndexA citation index can be searched by author, topic and citation.
- CQ Researcher In-depth, weekly publication covering current and controversial issues. Full text.
- Encyclopedia Britannica OnlineElectronic encyclopedia with links to Web sites.
- Gender WatchInternational publications devoted to women and gender issues. Full text.
- Humanities Full Text "Includes many of the most important academic journals in the humanities with the full text of articles from over 300 periodicals dating back to 1995, and high-quality indexing for almost 700 journals—of which 470 are peer-reviewed—dating as far back as 1984. The database provides coverage of feature articles, interviews, bibliographies, obituaries, and original works of fiction, drama, poetry and book reviews, as well as reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, radio and television programs, plays, operas, and more."
JSTOR: Arts & Sciences Collections I, II, III, IV, VII & XII; Biological Sciences collection Archives of scholarly electronic journals in sociology, political science, economics, mathematics & statistics, history; law, asian studies, ecology, botony, evolutionary biology, plant and animal sciences, paleontology, and conservation.
NOTE: you may limit your results to show only the content you have access to through UW-Platteville's subscription. At the top of the results list, choose Content I can access from the drop down menu.
- Project Muse 400+ journals covering the subject areas of the arts, culture, history, literature, philosophy and politics.
NOTE Only journals with this green arrow icon are available.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- Social Sciences Citation Index A citation index can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- Social Sciences Full Text "Provides access to a wide assortment of the most important English-language journals published in the social sciences. This resource provides detailed indexing for over 625 periodicals dating back as far as 1983—nearly 400 of which are peer-reviewed. "
- Women's Studies InternationalIncludes citations and abstracts drawn from a variety of women's studies databases.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on History
- American Memory(Historical Collections for the National Digest Library) "Presents American Memory from the Library of Congress, a collection of primary source and archival materials relating to American culture and history. Includes the history for the current date and allows users to search American Memory collections. Highlights the collection types, including photos and prints, documents, motion pictures, maps, and sound recordings. Notes that users may browse the collections by title, topic, or Library divisions. Contains search tips and resources for educators."
- ArchNet: WWW Virtual Library: Archaeology "Features ArchNet's WWW Virtual Library of Archaeology online resources, presented by the University of Connecticut Libraries. Lists and links to indexes of pointers, including worldwide archaeological regions, academic departments, specific sub-topic areas, online museums, electronic journals, newsgroups and listservs, publishers, and the Worldwide Email Directory of Anthropologists (WEDA). Offers a site search function and Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Spanish versions of site information. Provides access to the WWW Virtual Library home page."
- H-Net Reviews Reviews are published online via discussion networks and the H-Net web site. Reviewers, authors and readers may engage in discussions of the reviews online.
- U.S. Department of State
- WWW Virtual Library: History "Presents a listing of links to Internet sites related to the subject of history, maintained by the University of Kansas, as part of the WWW Virtual Library. Includes a listing of topics, organized by subject or historical era. Contains information about WWW Virtual Library history servers organized by subject. Links to other subjects available in the Virtual Library."
- WWW Virtual Library: History Central Catalogue "Presents a collection of information on the history of various parts of the world. Includes history information for Afghanistan, Australia, Hong Kong, China, India, Japan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand, Tibetan medicine, and Vietnam."
- Yahoo! History Another web site that will provide you with an overview of the history sites on the WWW. This site is also an index to historical topics. It is arranged by regions, time periods, and by broad topics. This site provides the user with the capability to search the web site by keyboard. Yahoo! History attempts to encompass the entire subject of history by linking the user to websites containing bibliographies, book titles, course information, institutes, journals, and magazines maps, movies, museums, news and television shows.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
History at UW-Platteville
- The History Office is located in 324 Warner Hall. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1787.
- James Hibbard is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the History program. Contact James at (608) 342-1229 for individualized consultations, and/or library instruction sessions in history. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.