Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
Use RefWorks, citation tool for UWP users to build bibliographies or create a personal database of records.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- Applied Science & Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index A citation index can be searched by author, topic, and citation.
- Biological & Agricultural Index Plus
"Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals dating back to 1997, as well as indexing and abstracts of more than 380 publications. Subject coverage includes agriculture & agricultural research, atmospheric science, biochemistry, biology, biotechnology, botany, chemistry, environmental science, geology, marine biology microbiology, physics and much more."
- Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS)An index to a wide range of bioscience topics.
- General Science Full Text "Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health & medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
- GEOREF "This database is a comprehensive geoscience database containing over 2.6 million bibliographic records from more than 3,000 journals and other sources. GeoRef provides coverage in subject areas such as mineralogy and crystallography, general mineralogy, mineralogy of silicates, and mineralogy of non-silicates."
NOTE: We also have access to GeoRef in Process which contain unedited records that are in the process of being indexed to the main database.
JSTOR: Arts & Sciences Collections I, II, III, IV, VII & XII; Biological Sciences collection Archives of scholarly electronic journals in sociology, political science, economics, mathematics & statistics, history; law, asian studies, ecology, botony, evolutionary biology, plant and animal sciences, paleontology, and conservation.
NOTE: you may limit your results to show only the content you have access to through UW-Platteville's subscription. At the top of the results list, choose Content I can access from the drop down menu.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- Social Sciences Full Text "Provides access to a wide assortment of the most important English-language journals published in the social sciences. This resource provides detailed indexing for over 625 periodicals dating back as far as 1983—nearly 400 of which are peer-reviewed. "
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Geology
- WWW Virtual Library - Environment"Presents the environment section of the WWW Virtual Library. Lists related virtual library subjects, such as biodiversity and ecology, earth sciences, energy, environmental law, forestry, landscape architecture, and oceanography. Offers links to WWW resources. Posts an online form to report a new environmental resource, or to request a change in one of the links."
- Cascades Volcano Observatory (CVO)
- Earth Fact Sheet
- Earth's Active Volcanoes
- Earthquake Information from the USGS
- Gemology & Lipidary Pages
- Geological and Geophysical Databases, Information, and GIS Map Server
- GeoScience: K-12 Resources
- An Introduction to Quantitative Geomorphology
- Lists and Maps of Recent Earthquakes
- United States Geological Survey
- University of California Museum of Paleontology (UCMP)
- The Volcano Information Center (VIC)
- Volcano World
- World-Wide Earthquake Locator
- Galaxy: Geosciences
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Geology at UW-Platteville
- The Geology Office is located in 247 Gardner. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1791.
- James Hibbard is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Geology program. Contact James at (608) 342-1229 for individualized consultations and/or library instructions sessions in geology. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.