Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
Use RefWorks, citation tool for UWP users to build bibliographies or create a personal database of records.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- General Science Full Text "Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health & medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
- GEOREF "This database is a comprehensive geoscience database containing over 2.6 million bibliographic records from more than 3,000 journals and other sources. GeoRef provides coverage in subject areas such as mineralogy and crystallography, general mineralogy, mineralogy of silicates, and mineralogy of non-silicates."
NOTE: We also have access to GeoRef in Process which contain unedited records that are in the process of being indexed to the main database.
JSTOR: Arts & Sciences Collections I, II, III, IV, VII & XII; Biological Sciences collection Archives of scholarly electronic journals in sociology, political science, economics, mathematics & statistics, history; law, asian studies, ecology, botony, evolutionary biology, plant and animal sciences, paleontology, and conservation.
NOTE: you may limit your results to show only the content you have access to through UW-Platteville's subscription. At the top of the results list, choose Content I can access from the drop down menu.
- Online Geographical Bibliography The geographical bibliography of the American Geographical Society Collection located in the Golda Meir Library.
- Project Muse 400+ journals covering the subject areas of the arts, culture, history, literature, philosophy and politics.
NOTE Only journals with this green arrow icon are available.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- Social Sciences Full Text "Provides access to a wide assortment of the most important English-language journals published in the social sciences. This resource provides detailed indexing for over 625 periodicals dating back as far as 1983—nearly 400 of which are peer-reviewed. "
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Geography
- The World Factbook "Features 'The World Factbook,' a publication from the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Includes country-based information on flags, maps, geography, people, government, the economy, transportation, communication, and defense. Highlights the regions to choose from, including Europe, Asia, Australia, North and South America, Antartica, and Africa. Also includes a world summary."
- Weather Gateway
- Geographic Nameserver Database which allows you to look up geographic information about U.S. locations, such as population, zip code, etc.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic NamesComprises records for approximately 900,000 places.
- The Weather Channel"Features the Weather Channel, a 24-hour television network devoted entirely to weather. Provides current forecasts for U.S. and international cities, including Doppler radar and satellite images. Offers information on travel conditions and guides to health and allergies, gardening, and aviation. Contains maps, a glossary, and safety tips. Describes featured books on weather and related topics."
- University of Minnesota Maps in the NewsRecent and past maps in the news from the John R. Borchert Map Library.
- MapQuest - Interactive atlas "Presents MapQuest Publishing Group, with offices in Denver, Colorado, and Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Posts contact information via mailing address and telephone and fax numbers. Contains interactive atlases for each continent. Highlights TripQuest, which allows users to create maps by entering starting and destination addresses. Offers FAQ section and press releases."
- US Census Bureau Features the U.S. Census Bureau, part of the Department of Commerce in Washington, D.C. The Bureau collects data about the people and the economy of the United States. Includes the Bureau's mission statement, organizational structure, descriptions of planning and procurement activities, and information on fellowship and employment opportunities. Highlights the current U.S. population count and the current economic indicators."
- NASA Observatorium
- Oceanographic & Earth Science Institutions Directory
- Yahoo! Geography Listings
- WWW Virtual Library: EarthSciences
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Geography at UW-Platteville
- The Geography Office is located in 314 Gardner. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1805.
- James Hibbard is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Geography program. Contact James at (608) 342-1229 for individualized consultations and/or library instructions session in geography. His e-mail address is email@example.com.