Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index A citation index can be searched by author, topic and citation.
- Biography & Genealogy Master IndexLocates biographical information on thousands of people.
- British and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries24,000+ letters and diaries of 91 women, biographies are included.
- Contemporary AuthorsBiographical and bibliographic information on writers, journalists, editors, etc. Full text.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Online
"Featuring comprehensive literary biographies written by recognized literary scholars and critics, you'll find profiles of more than 143,000 past and present authors, historians, journalists, screenwriters, publishers, and playwrights. The biographies discuss the lives and careers of the literary figures profiled, along with the critical response to their works."
- Humanities Full Text "Includes many of the most important academic journals in the humanities with the full text of articles from over 300 periodicals dating back to 1995, and high-quality indexing for almost 700 journalsóof which 470 are peer-reviewedódating as far back as 1984. The database provides coverage of feature articles, interviews, bibliographies, obituaries, and original works of fiction, drama, poetry and book reviews, as well as reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, radio and television programs, plays, operas, and more."
- International Medieval Bibliography This resource is in German. The World's leading interdisciplinary bibliography about the Middle Ages. This database covers Europe, the Middle East and North Africa during the period of 400-1500. Comprised of 300,000+ articles from over 4,500 journals.
- Literary IndexSearch for citations in all Gale literature series using the name of an author or title of a particular literary work. It's fast and easy.
- MLA Directory of Periodicals "Offers detailed information on over 7,100 journals, with 4,400 currently indexed in the International Bibliography. The detailed entries include editorial contact information, as well as frequency, circulation, subscription prices and submission guidelines."
- MLA International Bibliography "A bibliography of journal articles, books and dissertations. Produced by the Modern Language Association, the electronic version of the bibliography dates back to the 1920s and contains over 1.8 million citations from more than 4,400 journals and series and 1,000 book publishers."
- Medieval Encyclopedias This resource is in German. Includes International Encyclopaedia for the Middle Ages and Europa Sacra. Covers Europe, North Africa and the Middle East during the period of 300-1500.
- Nineteenth-Century Collections Online archive 1-4 A multi-year global digitization and publishing program focusing on primary source collections of the long nineteenth century. Archives included: British Politics and Society; European Literature, 1790-1840: The Corvey Collection; Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange; British Theatre, Music, and Literature: High and Popular Culture.
- Project Muse 400+ journals covering the subject areas of the arts, culture, history, literature, philosophy and politics.
NOTE Only journals with this green arrow icon are available.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- Scottish Women Poets of the Romantic Period Archive of 60 volumes from 47 poets. Web resources, criticism and biographical essays are to be added regularly.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on English & Literature
- ALEX Catalog of Electronic Texts Collection of digital documents collected in the subject areas of English literature, American literature, and Western philosophy.
- The Complete Works of William ShakespeareThe complete works of Shakespeare's plays and poetry. This on-line version of Shakespeare comes complete with meanings for those hard-to-understand words and phrases. You can link to other Shakespeare sites, as well as Bartlett's familiar Shakespearean quotations.
- Celebration of Women Writers
- The English Server FICTION CollectionFrom the public domain resources. A Carnegie Mellon University site.
- Guide to Grammar and Style by Jack Lynch.
- Internet Classics Archive
- Labyrinth: Resources for Medieval Studies
- Literary Resources on the NetThis comprehensive list includes listings for Classical and Biblical, Medieval, Eighteenth Century, Twentieth Century, American, Womens Literature and Feminism, General, Theory and more. Site maintained by Jack Lynch.
- Online Literary Criticism Collection (Internet Public Library) The Literary Criticism Collection contains nearly 2504 critical and biographical web sites devoted to specific authors and their respective bodies of work. Browse by author's name or browse by literary period.
- Poetry PortalA comprehensive directory to the Internet poetry world.
- Purdue University On-line Writing LabMany helpful resources on writing.
- Romantic Chronology Site filled with romantic literature which is divided by time periods.
- Voice of the Shuttle - Web Page for Humanities ResearchPart of the Web Page for Humanities Research maintained by Alan Liu at the University of California at Santa Barbara. An excellent resource.
- WWW Virtual Library - Humanities
- Writer's ResourcesKarrmann Library's guide to citing APA and MLA.
- Yahoo! Site for Humanities
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
English & Literature at UW-Platteville
- The English and Literature Office is located in 323 Warner and the contact person is Teresa Burns. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1826.
- John Berg is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Literature program. Contact John at (608) 342-1355 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in English/Literature. His email address is email@example.com