Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-P students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
Use RefWorks, citation tool for UWP users to build bibliographies or create a personal database of records.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- Applied Science & Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
- Biological & Agricultural Index Plus
"Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals dating back to 1997, as well as indexing and abstracts of more than 380 publications. Subject coverage includes agriculture & agricultural research, atmospheric science, biochemistry, biology, biotechnology, botany, chemistry, environmental science, geology, marine biology microbiology, physics and much more."
- Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS)
Indexes & abstracts international journals in the life sciences. Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, ecology, microbiology, neurology, pharmacology, toxicology and much more.
The BioOne.1 collection provides access to the full-text of 60+ peer reviewed, high-impact bioscience research journals. You may search the other collections but you will only have access to the abstracts.
- General Science Full Text "Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health & medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
Provides complete coverage to the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Online version of the International Weekly Journal of science. Contains full text of archived content as well. Also provides access to Nature's other journal titles.
- New England Journal of Medicine
"A weekly general medical journal that publishes new medical research findings, review articles, and editorial opinion on a wide variety of topics of importance to biomedical science and clinical practice. Material is published with an emphasis on internal medicine and specialty areas including allergy/immunology, cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, hematology, kidney disease, oncology, pulmonary disease, rheumatology, HIV, and infectious diseases."
- OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man)
OMIM is an online catalong of human genes and genetic disorders, containing textual information, pictures, and reference information. Also includes links to the National center for Biotechnology Information's Entrez database of MEDLINE articles and sequence information.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- SAGE Journals Online SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Full-Text is available for articles that have been published SINCE 1999.
- Science Online Magazine
The world's leading journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
- Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Biology
A scholarly internet resource collection of biological, agricultural, and medical sites compiled by the University of California Riverside.
- Public Library of Science (PLoS)
The Public Library of Science is a nonprofit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific and medical literature a public resource. PLoS publications are peer-reviewed and freely available online, without restrictions on use or further distribution, free from private or government control.
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention
Includes information about health issues, traveler's health, publications, software and products, and data and statistics.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Contains information about patient laws, regulations, publications, databases, projects, and programs.
A comprehensive collection of links to highly respected medical information resources. The National Library of Medicine produced and maintains this collection.
- The Genetic Education Center
This comprehensive site from the University of Kansas Medical Center contains genetic information for students, teachers, genetic counselors, health care professionals and families. The site consists of three main home pages: Information for Genetic Professionals, Genetic Conditions and Support Groups, and Genetic Educational Information.
- The Plant Pathology Internet Guide Book
The Plant Pathology Internet Guide Book provides links to resources about plant pests. Links are broken down into several categories including bacteriology, entomology, mycology, and weeds and parasitic plants. The Institute for Plant Diseases & Plant Protection, Department of Horticulture, University of Hanover hosts this site.
- The Tree of Life Web Project
The Tree of Life is a "collaborative internet project containing information about phylogeny and biodiversity". The site provides quality information selected through a peer-review process.
- University of Wisconsin - Madison Biotechnology Center
This site contains a wide variety of information, including news about the latest developments in the field. Also includes links to additional biotechnology sites.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville Karrmann Library
Biology at UW-Platteville
- The Biology Office is located in 249 Gardner. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1793.
- Judith Wurtzler is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Biology program. Contact Judy at (608) 342-1077 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in biology. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.