Many of the databases listed below are for use by UWP students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Do more with MultiSearch. Search multiple UWP databases simultaneously.
Use RefWorks, citation tool for UWP users to build bibliographies or create a personal database of records.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- AGRICOLA - The National Agricultural Library's Catalog and Article Citation Database
Materials relating to all aspects of agriculture.
- Applied Science & Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
- Biological & Agricultural Index Plus
"Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals dating back to 1997, as well as indexing and abstracts of more than 380 publications. Subject coverage includes agriculture & agricultural research, atmospheric science, biochemistry, biology, biotechnology, botany, chemistry, environmental science, geology, marine biology microbiology, physics and much more."
- Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS)
Indexes & abstracts international journals in the life sciences. Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, ecology, microbiology, neurology, pharmacology, toxicology and much more.
The BioOne.1 collection provides access to the full-text of 60+ peer reviewed, high-impact bioscience research journals. You may search the other collections but you will only have access to the abstracts.
- General Science Full Text "Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health & medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- SAGE Journals Online SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Full-Text is available for articles that have been published SINCE 1999.
- Science Online Magazine
The world's leading journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
- Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Agriculture
- Agriculture Network Information Center
A guide to quality agricultural information on the Internet.
A scholarly internet resource collection of biological, agricultural, and medical sites compiled by the University of California Riverside.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
Includes links to numerous useful sites, including the Economic Research Service and the National Agricultural Statistics Service.
Plant and Soil Science
- Global Crop Pests Identification and Information
This web site, developed by the Cornell Institute for Food, Agriculture, and Development contains a new prototype of the "Global Crop Pest Identification and Information Services in Integrated Pest Management (IPM)". The prototype, available in English and Spanish, is searchable by pest or crop name and provides information for use in crop pest diagnosis.
- Internet Glossary of Soil ScienceTerms
Maintained by the Soil Science Society of America, this searchable glossary contains hundreds of soil science terms.
- OnlinePlantGuide.Com This online guide includes information on more than 4,300 species and 15,500 digital images. Information includes common and scientific names as well as climate zones, height, spread, flowering seasons, flower colors, fruits, sun light requirements, water requirements, soil types and more.
- USDA PLANTS Database Provided by the USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service, this database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N.
Provides links to the various departments, including agriculture, economics, fisheries, nutrition, etc.
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture
The Center's site is broken down into three sections: Programs, Resources, and About the Center. Available resources include research reports, papers and speeches, and fact sheets on the topic of sustainable agriculture.
- NAL Agricultural Thesaurus
The NAL (National Agricultural Library) Agricultural Thesaurus was "created to meet the needs of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS) for an agricultural thesaurus". The thesaurus covers all aspects of agriculture and is an invaluable resource for research purposes.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Agriculture at UW-Platteville
- The Agriculture Office is located in 715 Tower. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call (608) 342-1393.
- Judy Wurtzler is the Karrmann Library'sliaison to the Agriculture program. Contact Judy at (608) 342-1077 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in agriculture. Her e-mail address is email@example.com.