Texts: | Online Databases | Miscellaneous |
Journals: | UWP Subscription Resources
| News Related
| Miscellaneous |
- Associations Unlimited
- The electronic version of the Encyclopedia of Associations. Contains detailed descriptions on 142,000 International and U.S. organizations.
- Black Drama 1850 to Present
- 1200 plays by 201 playwrites, together with detailed, fielded information on related productions, theaters, production companies, and more.
- Brill e-books: Humanities and Social Sciences collections 2007-2013
- A leading international academic publisher in the Humanities and Social Sciences introduces its E-book collections in the following subject areas: Asian Studies, Biblical Studies, Ancient Near East and Early Christianity, Classical Studies, European History and Culture, Middle East and Islamic Studies, Religious Studies, Theology and Philosophy, Language and Linguistics, Religious Studies, Theology and Philosophy, and Social Sciences.
- British and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries
- 24,000+ letters and diaries of 91 women, biographies are included.
- Buckmaster Annual Stockholder Reports
- Annual reports from Fortune 500 companies.
- Contemporary Authors
- Biographical and bibliographic information on writers, journalists, editors, etc. Full text.
- Early Encounters in North America: Peoples, Cultures and the Environment
- More than 100,000 pages of letters, diaries, memoirs and accounts of early encounters.
- eBook Collection
- A collection of approximately 5000 electronic books that are available to UWP faculty, students and staff.
- Early English Books Online
- A digital library of over 96,000 titles printed between 1475-1700. Searchable by keyword, title and author. NOTE: Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view page images.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online
- Provides access to the digital images of every page of 150,000 English-language books published during the 18th Century. With full-text searching of approximately 26 million pages, the product allows researchers new methods of access to critical information in the fields of history, literature, religion, law, fine arts, science and more.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online
- The paid subscription to the electronic version of the Encyclopedia Britannica.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
- Electronic version of the New World Encyclopedia.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print
- Contains fulltext information about and reviews of all English-language standardized tests covering educational skills, personality, vocational aptitude, psychology, and related areas. Also available in print REF LB3051.T4
- North American Women's Letters and Diaries: Colonial to 1950
- "Includes the immediate experiences of 632 women, as revealed in approximately 82,000 pages of diaries and letters. The collection also includes biographies and an extensive annotated bibliography of the sources in the database."
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Electronic version of the print title, searchable by word or definition.
- Oxford Music Online
- A gateway into music research and the access point for new and forthcoming Oxford music reference subscriptions and products which include, but are not limited to The Oxford Dictionary of Music; Grove Music Online database and The Oxford Companion to Music.
- Science Online Magazine
- The world's leading journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
- Scottish Women Poets of the Romantic Period
- Archive of 60 volumes from 47 poets. Web resources, criticism and biographical essays are to be added regularly.
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- "An online encyclopedia covering a variety of philosophical topics. This resource is continuously updated by discipline experts with each entry reviewed by an editorial board prior to publication. Coverage: entries written from 1995 - present."
- Tests in Print (Part of Mental Measurement Yearbook)
- "Tests in Print (TIP) serves as a comprehensive bibliography to all known commercially available tests that are currently in print in the English language. Provides vital information to users including test purpose, test publisher, in-print status, price, test acronym, intended test population, administration times, publication date(s), and test author(s)."
- Women and Social Movements in the United States, 1600-2000
- Contains 85+ document projects that interpret and present documents concerning women's involvement in social movements, most of which are not otherwise available online.
- Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts
- "The Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts is a collection of public domain documents from American and English literature as well as Western philosophy." Choice of formats for downloading: simple text, PDF, Palm Pilot, Rocket eBook & Newton Paperback.
- AMDOCS: Documents for the Study of American History
- The full text versions of documnets from American History. Coverage begins with the 15th century "Christopher Columbus's letter to the King & Queen of Spain, 1494" to "Bush's speech to Congress, Sept 20, 2001". Created by Lynn Nelson, Prof. Emeritus of History at the University of Kansas.
- The Avalon Project
- "Yale University Law School's Avalon Project seeks to "mount digital documents relevant to the fields of Law, History, Economics, Politics, Diplomacy and Government." The site is simple yet powerful. The documents are presented both chronologically and by topic (under Major Collections), ranging from the Athenian Constitution to the 1992 European Parliament Resolution on the Situation in Tibet. The design of Avalon encourages comparative analysis, in that readers may follow links between related documents available on the site. The documents, unfortunately, lack background materials to put them in historical perspective, but this is an impressive and growing repository of primary sources." Scout Report
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
- The works available from this site were taken from the Complet Moby Shakespeare, which is in the public domain. This site does not contain the poetry. Although it has not been updated recently, it serves as a nice start to most of Shakespeare's work online.
- Electronic Text Center Collections
- "The Center combines an on-line archive of thousands of SGML-encoded electronic texts and images with a library service that offers hardware and software suitable for the creation and analysis of text. The Electronic Text Center's holdings include approximately 70,000 on- and off-line humanities texts in thirteen languages, with more than 350,000 related images (book illustrations, covers, manuscripts, newspaper pages, page images of Special Collections books, museum objects, etc.). Also has eBooks for Microsoft readers.
- The Library of Congress Digital Collections & Programs
- A small portion of the Library's millions of books, photographs, prints, drawings, manuscripts, rare books, maps, sound recordings, and moving pictures are available in digital format via this program.
- Massachusetts Historical Society: Photographs of Native Americans
- "Photographic portraits of Native Americans from the central and western United States are prominent in the collection of the Massachusetts Historical Society because of four Bostonian collectors who were active from
the 1860s to the early 1900s. The portraits are in several different forms that were popular at the time of their production. Cartes de Visite ("calling cards"), platinotypes, photogravures, and tintypes are all
represented in the collection.
- Other Digital Text Collections
- From the Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE, a meta-site of electronic text collections
- New York Public Library Digital Gallery
- "This site provides access to over 300,000 images digitized from primary sources and printed rarities in the collections of the New York Public Library, including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and photographs, illustrated books, printed ephemera, and more."
- Project Gutenburg
- Texts that are no longer under copyright protection are provided. The philosophy behind this project is that etexts should be widely available across media platform. Search engine now available.
- University of WI Digital Collections
- The UWDC is a cooperative effort by UW libraries to "provide quality digital resources from its academic libraries to UW faculty, staff, and students, citizens of the state, and scholars at large." From this site, you can access digital collections cooperatively developed by UW libraries and other collections developed by individual UW Libraries. The UWDC is an ongoing project of UW Libraries, the collection has a significant amount of valuable content now and will continue to grow.
UWP Subscription Resources
For information on connecting from off campus, see the Guide for Off-campus users.
- ASCE Research Library
- Journals from the American Society of Civil Engineers, this full-text database contains more than 24,000 journal and 8,700 proceedings papers, from 1993 to present.
- ACS Publications
- Full text of 60+ American Chemical Society publications are available through an agreement with the University of Wisconsin System. Web editions include full text from January 1996 to the current issue. Click here for the Publications A-Z list.
- ASME Journals
- Must search in ASME Digital Library: Online Journals
Contains the full text of 21 American Society of Mechanical Engineering journals as well as abstract and citation information from over 475 international mechanical engineering journals from 1989 to the present.
- The BioOne.1 collection provides access to the full-text of 60+ peer reviewed, high-impact bioscience research journals. You may search the other collections but you will only have access to the abstracts.
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Online web site of journal, updated throughout the day with the latest news in academe (NO EMBARGO of content). The
text from the current print edition, posted every Monday morning. A searchable archive of previously published content is also available.
- Clinical Kinesiology
- Electronic version of journal, starting with v.57 no. 1 spring 2003. We have the print editions v.55 no. 1 spring 2001 - v. 56 no. 4 winter 2002.
- CQ Researcher
- In-depth, weekly publication covering current and controversial issues. Full text.
- IEEE Xplore
- IEEE Xplore provides full-text access to IEEE transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings published since 1988 and all current IEEE Standards.
- IoP (Institute of Physics) Electronic Journals
- Over 30 journals published by the Institute of Physics. Includes full-text articles and is searchable and browsable. (Select Standard Service for access.)
- International Journal of Project Management
- This journal offers wide ranging and comprehensive coverage of all facets of project management.
- Journal of Chemical Education
- Electronic version of the monthly print edition. September 1996 vol. 73:9 to the present are available.
- Journal of Women & Minorities in Science & Engineering
- "Publishes original, peer-reviewed papers that report innovative ideas and programs for classroom teachers, scientific studies, and formulation of concepts related to the education, recruitment, and retention of under-represented groups in science and engineering."
NOTE: Full text access begins with Vol. 14, Issue 1 (2008). Only the table of contents are accessible from older issues.
- JSTOR: Arts & Sciences Collections I, II, III, IV, VII & XII; Biological Sciences collection
- Archives of scholarly electronic journals in sociology, political science, economics, mathematics & statistics, history; law, asian studies, ecology, botony, evolutionary biology, plant and animal sciences, paleontology, and conservation.
NOTE: you may limit your results to show only the content you have access to through UW-Platteville's subscription. At the top of the results list, choose Content I can access from the drop down menu.
- Online version of the International Weekly Journal of science. Contains full text of archived content as well. Also provides access to Nature's other journal titles.
- New England Journal of Medicine
- "A weekly general medical journal that publishes new medical research findings, review articles, and editorial opinion on a wide variety of topics of importance to biomedical science and clinical practice. Material is published with an emphasis on internal medicine and specialty areas including allergy/immunology, cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, hematology, kidney disease, oncology, pulmonary disease, rheumatology, HIV, and infectious diseases."
- Project Muse
- 400+ journals covering the subject areas of the arts, culture, history, literature, philosophy and politics.
NOTE Only journals with this green arrow icon are available.
- SAGE Journals Online
- SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Full-Text is available for articles that have been published SINCE 1999.
Full Text Titles
For links to determine if and where a journal can be found in full-text, please go to CitationFinder.
- A service provided by TimeWarner. On Pathfinder you can read up-to-the-minute news, find out what's happening in entertainment, get the latest sport scores, etc. TimeWarner publications are also accessible.
- HighWire Press
- Highwire Press is the internet imprint of the Stanford University Libraries. Its mission is to foster research and instruction by providing a more direct linkage between the writers and readers of scholarly materials. Reading the full text of articles requires a subscription; however, searching contents is available.
- Yahoo! Magazines
- Free and commercial publications.
- Voice of the Shuttle
- An extensive listing of journals and magazines woven by Alan Liu. Site includes scholarly journals, culture magazines, small press titles and subject specific categories.