Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
Education Full Text
"Provides full text of articles from over 350 journals as far back as 1996, in addition to indexing of over 770 periodicals dating back to 1983. Content includes in-depth coverage of special education, with over 50 journals dedicated to this important topic, and more than 100,000 controlled and cross-referenced names of educational tests. Subject coverage includes adult education, continuing education, literacy standards, multicultural/ethnic education, teaching methods and much more."
Indexes and abstracts to journal articles and documents in education. ERIC Thesaurus
Health Source: Consumer Edition
Consumer health and nutrition information. Includes periodical articles, health pamphlets and health books.
Humanities Full Text
"Includes many of the most important academic journals in the humanities with the full text of articles from over 300 periodicals dating back to 1995, and high-quality indexing for almost 700 journals—of which 470 are peer-reviewed—dating as far back as 1984. The database provides coverage of feature articles, interviews, bibliographies, obituaries, and original works of fiction, drama, poetry and book reviews, as well as reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, radio and television programs, plays, operas, and more."
Provides complete coverage to the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print
Contains full text information about and reviews of all English-language standardized tests covering educational skills, personality, vocational aptitude, psychology, and related areas. Also available in print REF LB3051.T4
Professional Development Collection
For professional educators, provides a specialized collection of over 550 full text journals, indexing and abstracts are also provided for 800+ additional journal titles.
Provides full text articles on current issues in psychology from respected sources, spanning from 1987 to the present. Includes more than 34,000 full-text articles from 43 journals published by American Psychological Association and allied organizations. All journals included in this database are indexed in PsycINFO.
Abstracts from over 1300 psychology journals.
SAGE Journals Online
SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Social Sciences Full Text
"Provides access to a wide assortment of the most important English-language journals published in the social sciences. This resource provides detailed indexing for over 625 periodicals dating back as far as 1983—nearly 400 of which are peer-reviewed. "
Tests in Print (part of Mental Measurements Yearbook
"Tests in Print (TIP) serves as a comprehensive bibliography to all known commercially available tests that are currently in print in the English language. Provides vital information to users including test purpose, test publisher, in-print status, price, test acronym, intended test population, administration times, publication date(s), and test author(s)."
Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded,Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
Women's Studies International
Includes citations and abstracts drawn from a variety of women's studies databases.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Psychology
- AmoebaWeb Provides over 2,000 links to full-text articles and other psychology content available for free online. Maintained by Dr. Douglas Degelman, Vanguard University of Southern California.
- Annual Reviews Social Sciences The Karrmann Library owns the Annual Review of Psychology, 1950 to date. This site serves as an index to this title. To search all other titles in the annual review series, go to Annual Reviews.
- Encyclopedia of Psychology Provides almost 2,000 links for browsing various psychology topics. Maintained by the Dept. of Psychology, Jacksonville State University.
- Internet Mental Health This site offers a free online encyclopedia containing detailed information about common disorders, psychiatric drugs, diagnoses, and Internet links.
- Masters in Psychology Search 95+ Online Masters Degree in Psychology Programs.
- Mental Help Net This site purports to be the "largest, most comprehensive guide to mental health online." Created in 1995 by professional psychologists.
- Monitor on Psychology Online monthly newsletter from the APA. Includes news, articles on recent studies, and job postings.
- The Personality Project Online guide to personality theory, including links to articles, papers, search engines, syllabi, research projects, organizations, and more.
- Psych Central Developed by Dr. John Grohol, this is an annotated guide to web sites, newsgroups, and online mailing lists in mental health, psychology, psychiatry, and social work. A highlight is the Resource Directory, which lists web resources evaluated by Dr. Grohol, with outstanding examples starred for easy identification.
- PSYCLine Guide to over 2,000 online psychology and social science journals. Includes a journal locator, searchable by keyword, subject, or title.
- PsycPort Wire news and press releases related to psychology. An APA site.
- PsychScholar Easy-to-use gateway for a wide variety of online resources in psychology. Includes two main sections: links for "Psychological Scholars" and links for "Budding Psychological Scholars."
- Psych Web "Contains links to psychology-related information for students and teachers of psychology, including brochures, articles, psych departments online, and more."
- Social Psychology Network With over 13,000 links, this site has information on social psychology, professional journals, teaching resources, electronic forums, and general psychology links and reference tools. Maintained by Scott Plous, Wesleyan University.
Tests and Measures
- ETS Test Link The largest online test collection, with abstracts and information for over 20,000 tests and other measurement devices. Includes foreign tests.
- Finding Psychological and Educational Testing Instruments: This page helps answer some basic questions on locating psychological and educational tests. Maintained by Bernadette Lear, Penn State Harrisburg Library.
- International Personality Item Pool Provides access to over 325 personality inventories and scales, all in the public domain.
- IQ Test Ranking System Provides ranking and ratings of Internet IQ tests, based on the APA Internet Testing Task Force Report standards and ethical tenets. Also includes test directories and psychology resources.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook (Buros Institute) Online version provides information on nearly 4,000 commercially available tests, searchable by keyword, category, or title. For full reviews, search the electronic database Mental Measurements Yearbook. Also available in print REF LB3051. T4.
- Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation Peer-reviewed electronic journal provides access to articles on testing, assessment, research, evaluation, and teaching practices.
- Psychological Testing This site includes information on the development and use of common psychological tests and methods. Includes a national directory of testing psychologists, news, and job postings.
- Wisconsin Mental Health Programs (Dept. of Health and Family Services)
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services)
- State and Provincial Psychological Associations Online listing of national and Canadian psychological associations and contact information. Provided by the APA.
- American Counseling Association (ACA) Founded in 1952, the ACA exclusively represents professional counselors. Site includes publications, resources, and a directory for practicing counselors.
- American Psychiatric Association Founded in 1844, this medical society represents psychiatrists and their patients and supports the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental illnesses. Site includes a wide variety of information on education, advocacy, ethics, research, news, and resources.
- American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA) Founded in 1911, this organization focuses on education, research, and membership development. Site includes educational standards and an article literature search.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Founded in 1892, the APA is the world's largest scientific and professional organization for psychologists. Site includes psychology topics, news, publications, and resources for students.
- National Mental Health Association (NMHA) Founded in 1909, the NMHA works to educate Americans about mental health through advocacy, education, research, and service. Site includes mental health information and resources, professional directory, news, and advocacy links.
- Western Psychological Association (WPA) Founded in 1921 in order to exchange scientific and professional ideas in the behavioral sciences. Site includes newsletter and convention archives.
- Behavioral Research: Library Resources - PowerPoint presentation
- Behavioral Research: Citation Searching and Finding Tests - PowerPoint presentation
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Psychology at UW-Platteville
- The Psychology Office is located in 221 Warner Hall, contact 608.342.1723 for more information. Regina Pauly is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Psychology Department. Contact Regina for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions at 608.342.1099 or e-mail email@example.com.