Physical Education and Health
This pane clears float!
Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
Biological and Agricultural Index Plus
"Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals dating back to 1997, as well as indexing and abstracts of more than 380 publications. Subject coverage includes agriculture and agricultural research, atmospheric science, biochemistry, biology, biotechnology, botany, chemistry, environmental science, geology, marine biology microbiology, physics and much more."
Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS)
An index to a wide range of bioscience topics.
- CINAHLThe definitive database for nursing and allied health. Covers 1,200 leading journals, some full text.
Education Full Text
"Provides full text of articles from over 350 journals as far back as 1996, in addition to indexing of over 770 periodicals dating back to 1983. Content includes in-depth coverage of special education, with over 50 journals dedicated to this important topic, and more than 100,000 controlled and cross-referenced names of educational tests. Subject coverage includes adult education, continuing education, literacy standards, multicultural/ethnic education, teaching methods and much more."
- ERIC Indexes and abstracts to journal articles and documents in education. ERIC Thesaurus
General Science Full Text
"Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health and medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
Health Source: Consumer Edition
Consumer health and nutrition information. Includes periodical articles, health pamphlets and health books.
Provides complete coverage to the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Red Book Online
This is an enhanced online version of the print Red Book, developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Committee on Infectious Diseases. Red Book is one of the most well-known and valued resources for pediatric clinical medicine and provides guidance on manifestations, epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of more than 200 common childhood conditions. The online version contains the complete text of the print book, plus more than 2,500 images, vaccine status information, and infectious disease news.
- General Electronic Databases
The print indexes are available on the main floor of the Karrmann Library. Ask at Reference Desk for exact location.
- Completed Reseach in Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- Physical Education Index
- JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) Current week only in full text
Comprehensive Sites on Physical Education and Health
- Achoo Healthcare Online It provides information resources for the medical community including directories, news, site of the week.
- Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources This site points to other sites. This site has received many kudos.
- Healthfinder This is a gateway site developed and maintained by the U.S. Government's DHHS Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. It is a site with an extensive searchable database of reliable online health publications, clearinghouses, Web sites, government agencies and other consumer health information.
- HealthGate This site is for patients, nurses, and physicians. It provides access to press articles updated daily, "wellness" topics, and the Health Living Magazine.
- HealthWeb This site provides organized and evaluated links to health information selected by informational professionals at leading academic medical centers located in the Midwest, including the Mayo Clinic, the Medical College of Wisconsin, among others.
- InteliHealth Sponsored by Johns Hopkins Medical Center, this site links to medical dictionary information, medical organizations, and medical topics in the news.
- Nutrition Navigator: a Rating Guide to Nutrition Website Tufts University School of Nutrition Science and Policy provides this site of reviewed nutrition sites for educators, health professionals, and consumers.
- SPORTQuest This site is an easy-to-use searchable directory of sport Web sites and articles covering topics such as: sports medicine, physical fitness, and coaching.
- Yahoo! Recreation: Outdoors
- Yahoo! Recreation: Sports
Physical Education and Health at UW-Platteville
- The Physical Education and Health Program is a component of the School of Education. The office is located in 110 Williams Fieldhouse and the program coordinator is Dr. Colleen McCabe. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, please call Marilyn McFall at 608.342.1573.
- Regina Pauly is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the School of Education. Contact Regina at 608.342.1099 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
This pane clears float!