Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
A collection of three unique databases to national and international business information: ABI/INFORM Global; ABI/INFORM Dataeline; and ABI/INFORM Trade and Industry.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
Applied Science and Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
Business Source Premier
Indexes and abstracts more than 2,300 business periodicals and newspapers.
Education Full Text
"Provides full text of articles from over 350 journals as far back as 1996, in addition to indexing of over 770 periodicals dating back to 1983. Content includes in-depth coverage of special education, with over 50 journals dedicated to this important topic, and more than 100,000 controlled and cross-referenced names of educational tests. Subject coverage includes adult education, continuing education, literacy standards, multicultural/ethnic education, teaching methods and much more."
IEEE Xplore provides full-text access to IEEE transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings published since 1988 and all current IEEE Standards.
Readers' Guide Full Text Mega
"Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film and television, gardening, health and medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports and fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
SAGE Journals Online
SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded,Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
- Journal of sTEm Teacher Education Online access to issues, starting from Fall 2010 through Winter 2011.
- Journal of Technology Education Online access to issues, starting from Fall 1989.
- Technology Review Owned by the MIT, Technology Review is a magazine which promotes the understanding of emerging technologies and which analyze their commercial, social, and political impacts.
- Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction Technology Education Includes a PDF version of Wisconsin's Model Academic Standards for Technology Education.
- O*Net: Occupational Information Network Online source for "continually updated information on skill requirements and occupational characteristics." Site includes the O*Net database, O*Net Online, and the O*Net Career Exploration Tools. A service of the U.S. Dept of Labor Employment and Training Administration.
- National Science Digital Library Created by the National Science Foundation as a "free online library for education and research in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics." Site also includes resources for K-12 teachers, university faculty, and the community.
- Technology Education Online Classroom This site's purpose is "to provide technology education teachers and students with a one stop source for technology education related content and concepts."
- Energy Education and Training: Energy Lesson Plans, Curriculum, and Educational Materials Includes energy lesson plans and educational resources for all levels, including higher education. A service of the U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Association for Career and Technical Education Founded in 1926, the ACTE is "the largest national education association dedicated to the advancement of education that prepares youth and adults for successful careers." Site includes a Resource Center (with a lesson plan library).
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association Founded in 1939, the ITEA is "devoted to enhancing technology education through technology, innovation, design, and engineering experiences at the K-12 school levels." Site includes professional/curriculum development, publications, and TE resources.
- ASTM Standards in Building Codes, Ref TA404.5 .A45
- Building Construction Cost Data, Ref TH435 .B84
- Concrete Construction Handbook, TA681 .C745 1998
- Illustrated Dictionary of Building Design & Construction, REF TH9 .B86 2005
- International Building Code, KF5701 .I524 2011
- Means Illustrated Construction Dictionary, TH9 .M4 2010
- RS Means Commercial Renovation Cost Data, TH3411 .R6
Codes and Standards
- American National Standards Institute Site includes standards activities and programs, library of public and ANSI member documents, and extensive Internet resources.
- ASTM International Standards Worldwide "An open forum for the development of high-quality, market-relevant international standards," this site includes searchable databases for standards and ASTM publications.
- DOE: Building Energy Codes "An information resource on national model energy codes," this site includes free software for residential and commercial compliance tools, an implementation tools Resource Center (with videos, graphics, PowerPoints, and articles), and a Status of State Energy Codes database.
- International Code Council Site includes sections on Codes and Standards, Government Relations, Certification and Testing, and Public Safety.
- Blue Book of Building and Construction "Since 1913, The Blue Book of Building and Construction has been the construction industry's premier information source." Site includes updated information for regional editions, with a searchable database of over a million company listings and profiles.
- Building Online Online search directory of building industry professionals. Includes eUpdate, a news section for industry, product, and trade show news.
- National Institute of Building Sciences Established by Congress in 1974, NIBS is "the authoritative national source of knowledge and advice on matters of building regulation, science and technology." Site includes publications, reports, and information on NIBS programs and projects.
- American Institute of Constructors and Constructor Certification Commission Established in 1971 "to help individual construction practitioners achieve the professional status they deserve."
- Construction Management Association of America Founded in 1981, the CMAA's mission is to "promote professionalism and excellence in the management of the construction process." Site includes a "Find a CM/PM" database, owner resources, legislative information, and an e-journal.
- International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction Established in 1953 with the support of the United Nations, the CIB is a global network "in support of an improved building process and of improved performance of the built environment." Site includes searchable databases for contacts, commissions, meetings and publications, as well as a free e-newsletter.
- Wisconsin Manufacturers Directory, T12 .W81
- Manufacturing Automation Online version of magazine, with additional resources of archives, research reports, software directory, marketplace search, and topic research on lean manufacturing and e-manufacturing.
- Manufacturing.net Comprehensive news resource for manufacturers. Includes sections on market sectors, industry (including manufacturing technology), global manufacturing, and free E-mail newsletter subscriptions.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology The mission of NIST "is to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology." Information on NIST Laboratories programs, including manufacturing engineering; products and services; the NIST Research Library; and an A-Z subject index.
- ThomasNet Online version of Thomas Register. Also includes global directory, downloadable CAD drawings, product news, industrial market trends blog, and more services for registered users (registration is free).
- Association for Manufacturing Excellence Founded in 1985, AME is "dedicated to cultivating understanding, analysis and exchange of productivity methods." Site includes Target Magazine searchable archives.
- Association for Manufacturing Technology Online Founded in 1902, AMT "represents and promotes the interests of American providers of manufacturing machinery and equipment." Site includes extensive resources on manufacturing technology, manufacturing R&D, standards and regulations, statistics, business development and marketing, member product directory, and a news center.
- National Association of Manufacturers Founded in 1895, NAM is the largest national association for industrial trade. Site includes NAM Manufacturing Institute research, manufacturing and trade data, communications and media resources, and legislative information.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers Founded in 1932, SME is a "resource for manufacturing information and knowledge" for both industry professionals and the general public. Site includes resources on professional development, technical publications, and information specific to students, educators, members, and employers.
- Human Factors Design Handbook, Oversize TA166 .W57 1992
- Occupational Health and Safety Management: A Practical Approach, RC967 .R447 2009
- Occupational Health and Safety: Terms, Definitions, and Abbreviations, RC963 .A3 C66 1999
- Occupational Safety and Health Law, KF3570 .R67
- WisCon: Online Safety and Health Consultation in Wisconsin Site includes information for services and programs, as well as online resources.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration Site contains extensive information and regulations relating to worker health and safety. U.S. Dept. of Labor.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Federal agency responsible for "providing national and world leadership to prevent work-related illnesses and injuries." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.
- Building and Fire Research Portal The National Institute of Science and Technology’s portal provides information resources relating to the needs of the building and fire industries in the United States.
- eLCOSH-Electronic Library of Construction Occupational Safety and Health This site's resources are "intended to provide accurate, user-friendly information about safety and health for construction workers from a wide range of sources worldwide." Also includes non-English materials. Developed by NIOSH.
- Haz-Map: Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Agents An occupational toxicology database, searchable by hazardous agents, occupational diseases, and/or high risk jobs. Includes a glossary and references. Developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Medline Plus: Occupational Health Includes extensive information on all aspects of occupational health. Developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Osh.Net: Occupational Safety and Health Network This site, an "internet gateway for occupational health and safety resources and information," includes a link directory (set-up similar to Yahoo!), articles and a resource center. Site operated by occupational health and safety experts.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Founded in 1939, the AIHA is for occupational and environmental health professionals. Site includes sections on Access to Information, Continuing Education, AIHA Laboratory Programs, and Information by Topic.
- American Society of Safety Engineers Founded in 1911, the "ASSE is the oldest and largest professional safety organization." Site includes professional development and education information, online newsletters, and searchable archives for Professional Safety journal (full-issue PDFs for members, indexes for non-members).
- Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors Formed in 1949 as the Ergonomics Research Society. Site includes background information and resources on ergonomics.
- How to Write a MSDS Includes a free blank MSDS form, with the 16-section ANSI format. This page, part of the Environment, Health and Safety Online site, includes other MSDS-related resources.
- Vermont SIRI MSDS Index Database of MSDS and chemical toxicology reports. Searchable by manufacturer, keyword, and NSN.
Materials Science and Processes
- Composite Materials Handbook, TA418.9 .C6 S38 1984
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology, Oversize TS195 .A2 W55 2009
- MatWeb: The Online Materials Information Resource Free online searchable database of over 58,000 material data sheets.
- ASM International: The Materials Information Society Founded in 1913, the ASM serves the "technical interests of metals and materials professionals all over the world." Site includes a Materials Info Center.
- TMS Online: The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society Founded in 1957, TMS is a "professional organization that encompasses the entire range of materials and engineering." Site includes a Document Center, publications, e-news, and a Career Resource Center.
- Science.gov Includes more than 55 databases and over 2,100 selected websites from 13 federal agencies, offering 200 million pages of authoritative U.S. government science information including research and development results.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this handbook is an important source of career information. The handbook covers hundreds of occupations and includes information about job duties, work environment, educational requirements, pay, and more. Each profile also includes employment projections for the 2010-20 decade.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Industrial Studies at UW-Platteville
- The Industrial Studies Office is located in 409 Tower. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1246.
- Judy Wurtzler is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Industrial Studies program. Contact Judy at 608.342.1077 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sesssions in industrial technology. Her E-mail address is email@example.com.