The ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center of the U.S. Department of Education) database indexes and summarizes journal articles and documents in the field of education, 1967 to the present.
The ERIC database combines citations from two sources:
- journal article citations from over 1000 journals
- document citations: These documents are unpublished materials of interest to educators such as research reports, papers presented at conventions, etc., on the local, state and national levels.
Access to ERIC
The Karrmann Library offers access to the ERIC database through the library's Web pages.
The ERIC database is a subscription database available to UW-Platteville students, faculty, and staff. For off-campus access information, see the Guide for Off-Campus Users.
Location of Journal Articles
Those journals to which the library subscribes are found either in full text online (within the ERIC database) or in print or microfilm formats on the first floor of the library.
- Ask at the library's Reference Desk, 342-1668, Toll free 888-450-4632, e-mail: Ask a Librarian!, or use our CitationFinder.
- Use the Library Catalog to determine if the library subscribes to a print or microfilm format of the journal title. Click on "Simple Search" and highlight the words "Journal/Magazine/Newspaper title" in the Select Search Terms box. Enter the journal title in the Search Terms box, omitting initial articles the, an, a.
Location of Education Documents
Many Education Documents (EDs) are available in full text online. Otherwise, the Karrmann Library has nearly all of the education documents on microfiche, filed numerically by ED number on the first floor of the library.
Thesaurus of Terms
Access a thesaurus which defines the terms used by the indexers of the database at www.ericfacility.net/extra/pub/thessearch.cfm
- To combine terms:
- activities and art
- To broaden search:
- "early intervention" or prevention
- To narrow search:
- developmental disabilities not autism
- To use two operators:
- (intelligence or "academic achievement") and testing
- To use a wildcard:
- wom?n (yields woman or women)
- To truncate words:
- counsel* (yields counseled, counseling, counsel's, etc.)
- To search for a phrase:
- align=top>"distance education"
- To search hyphenated terms:
- "at-risk students"
- To search by field:
- au tolan stephanie
- ti art in the daily life of a child
- su reading tests
- so mathematics teacher
Materials not available in the Karrmann Library may be obtained through interlibrary loan.
- Ask at the Reference Desk
- Call 342-1668 or Toll free 1-888-450-4632
- E-mail: Ask a Librarian!
- IML: Call 608-342-1757 or stop by at 136 Doudna