Guide to finding printed and online resources such as Full Text Journal or Newspaper Articles, Company Profiles, and Company Financial Reports
Choose from the links found on the library's "Resources by Academic Discipline" web pages for Business and Accounting.
NAICS and SIC Codes
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) and its predecessor, the Standard Industrial Classification System (SIC) classify businesses by what they produce or what services they offer.
- North American Industry Classification System Ref Desk HF1042 .N6 2002
- Standard Industrial Classification Manual Ref HF1042 .U5 1987
- Business: The Ultimate Resource Ref HD38.15 .B878
- Dictionary of Busines Ref HF1001 .C62 2001
- Encyclopedia of American Industries Ref HC102 .E53 2005
- Encyclopedia of Business Ref HF1001 .E466 2001
- Encyclopedia of Business Information Sources Ref HF 5351 .E5 -- latest edition
- Company Financial Reports and Company Profiles Data by company name or SIC numbers. Web access through the library's homepage. Click "Articles, Full Text and more" and then LEXIS/NEXIS and "Business".
- Hoover's Handbook of American Business Ref HG4057 .A28617
- Hoover's Handbook of Emerging Companies Ref HG4057 .A2861
- Hoover's Handbook of Private Companies Ref HG4057 .H668
- Hoover's Handbook of World Business Ref HG4009 .H66
- Mergent's Handbook of Common Stocks Ref HG4501 .M59
- Value Line Investment Survey Reviews and analyzes stocks. Includes tables, statistics, and opinions on quality and performance. Updated continuously. Ref HG4661 .V3 For Librarian-assisted online search, ask at the library's Reference Desk.
- Business Rankings Annual Ref HG4050 .B88
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers Offers Products and Services and Company Profiles. Ref T12 .T6
- Wisconsin Business Directory Ref Desk T12 .W6 W57
- Wisconsin Business Service Directory Ref Desk T12 .W4 W81
- Wisconsin Manufacturers Register Ref Desk T12 .W6 W58
Industry Profiles and Economic Information
- CRB Commodity Yearbook Summary data on 100 commodities. Overview of the industry and international statistics. Ref HF1041 .C56
- Economic Report of the President... Narrative report analyzing economic conditions. Ref HC106.5 .A272
- Manufacturing and Distribution USA Ref HD9721 .M364
To Find Business Plans
- Business Plans Handbook (annual) Ref HD62.7 .B865
- How to Write a Business Plan Ref HD30.28 .M3839
- RMA Annual Statement Studies - (Robert Morris Associates) Ref HF5681 .B2 R6
Provides industry averages and ratios.
- Ask at the Reference Desk
- Call 342-1668 or Toll free: 1-888-450-4632
- E-mail: Ask a Librarian!