This pane clears float!
Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
Applied Science and Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
Offers access to congressional publications dealing with the wide variety of topics addressed by Congress. 1789 to Present Day
"This database is a comprehensive geoscience database containing over 2.6 million bibliographic records from more than 3,000 journals and other sources. GeoRef provides coverage in subject areas such as mineralogy and crystallography, general mineralogy, mineralogy of silicates, and mineralogy of non-silicates."
NOTE: We also have access to GeoRef in Process which contain unedited records that are in the process of being indexed to the main database.
Provides full-text access to IEEE transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings published since 1988 and all current IEEE Standards.
Journal of Women and Minorities in Science & Engineering
"Publishes original, peer-reviewed papers that report innovative ideas and programs for classroom teachers, scientific studies, and formulation of concepts related to the education, recruitment, and retention of under-represented groups in science and engineering."
NOTE: Full text access begins with Vol. 14, Issue 1 (2008). Only the table of contents are accessible from older issues.
Readers' Guide Full Text Mega
"Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film and television, gardening, health and medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports and fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
SAGE Journals Online
SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Full-Text is available for articles that have been published SINCE 1999.
Science Reference Center
A comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content. This database contains full text for nearly 640 science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, etc. Topics covered include: biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, health and medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science and society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology and wildlife.
SciFinder offers a one-stop shop experience with flexible search and discover options based on user input and workflow. You can search for substances, reactions, and patent and journal references anytime, anywhere.
Vendor provided tutorials can be found at https://www.cas.org/training/scifinder
NOTE: Users must register before they may search SciFinder. Please review the How To Register to Use SciFinder guide for instructions. Or, the How to Create and Update User Registration guide.
Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded,Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
Sites for General Engineering Research
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- The Engineer Online Articles on design, products, news, and job searches worldwide
- Environmental News Network For the latest or archived environmental news, visit this often updated website.
- EquPlus Equations, constants, conversions and more
- Exploring the Nanoworld This site is produced by the Interdisciplinary Education Group of the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- FAS - Federation of American Scientists
- IEEE History Center Articles, interviews and images related to the history of electrical engineering and technology.
- Lightsources.orgVisit this site for news, information, and educational materials about the world's synchrotron and free electron laser light source facilities.
- Infomine Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
- Materials Research Society: The Materials Gateway Comprehensive coverage of engineering topics, including links to online journals, news in the field, career and internship information, and grant opportunities. Some content is for members only.
- NASA Astrophysics Data System Site is sponsored by the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- NTIS - National Technical Information Service From the U.S. Department of Commerce
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information This federal government site offers energy-related scientific report information and current news.
- Scirus Science Internet Search Engine
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- WhyFiles: The Science Behind the News Copyrighted by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents, this website fills in the scientitic information behind current headlines.
- WWW Virtual Library for Engineering
Related Sites at the UW-Platteville Karrmann Library
Engineering at UW-Platteville
- The College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science at the University of Wisconsin--Platteville consists of six departments: Chemistry and Engineering Physics, Mathematics, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Software Engineering, General Engineering, and Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. Please contact the individual departments for further information regarding their programs.
- Kay Young is the Karrmann Library's division librarian for the General Engineering program. Contact Kay at 608.342.1134 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in engineering. Her E-mail address is email@example.com.
This pane clears float!