This pane clears float!
Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Already know the citation of an article? Use our CitationFinder to find journal articles in full-text.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
Arts and Humanities Citation Index
A citation index can be searched by author, topic and citation.
Humanities Full Text
"Includes many of the most important academic journals in the humanities with the full text of articles from over 300 periodicals dating back to 1995, and high-quality indexing for almost 700 journals—of which 470 are peer-reviewed—dating as far back as 1984. The database provides coverage of feature articles, interviews, bibliographies, obituaries, and original works of fiction, drama, poetry and book reviews, as well as reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, radio and television programs, plays, operas, and more."
MLA Directory of Periodicals
"Offers detailed information on over 7,100 journals, with 4,400 currently indexed in the International Bibliography. The detailed entries include editorial contact information, as well as frequency, circulation, subscription prices and submission guidelines."
MLA International Bibliography
"A bibliography of journal articles, books and dissertations. Produced by the Modern Language Association, the electronic version of the bibliography dates back to the 1920s and contains over 1.8 million citations from more than 4,400 journals and series and 1,000 book publishers."
Readers' Guide Full Text Mega
"Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film and television, gardening, health and medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Foreign Language
French Studies Comprehensive Sites:
- A Comprehensive List of French Web Servers Is maintained by the Unite Reseaux National de la Recherche Scientifique. Organized alphabetically and by subject and region.
- Dave's French Links This site is a compilation of hot links created by David A. Gatwood from a list by Bob Peckham (Tennessee Bob).
- French Resources Is maintained by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at Appalachian State University.
- French Studies Web Is maintained by the Western European S tudies Section (WESS), which is part of the Association of College and Research Libraries, a division of the American Library Association. Well organized and useful links.
- Human-Languages Page Has alphabetical listings of links by language.
- Interesting Web Sites Francais Maintained at the University of Warwick and contains interesting links.
- Le Ministere de la Culture Useful guide to France online. Includes links to government web servers.
French Linguistic and Literary Resources
- ARTFL Project, University of Chicago Project for American and French Research on the Treasury of the French Language
- ARTFL: English-French Dictionary Contains approximately 75,000 entries and is maintained at the University of Chicago.
- University of Virginia Library - French Studies Resources University of Virginia provides access to French texts and organizes a substantial list of links to other sites of reference.
French News and Information
- Le Monde Diplomatique Offers full text of some articles.
- The Paris Pages A comprehensive source of information on all aspects of Paris.
German Studies Comprehensive Sites:
- DINO - Deutschsprachige Seiten im WWW This German language service is comprehensive and covers many subject areas.
- The German Page Maintained at Appalachian State University.
- Internet Resources for German Maintained at the University of Sussex.
- German Studies Trails On The Web Maintained at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and contains an extensive and well organized collection of German resources.
- German Studies Web (WESS) Provides well organized links to scholarly resources in German Studies, including all German-speaking countries. This service is maintained by the Western European Specialists Se ction (WESS), which is part of the Association of College and Research Libraries; a division of the American Library Association.
- WarwickGerman Web A collection of links organized by topic maintained at the University of Warwick.
- Harvard German Department
- The I Love Languages Page Has alphabetical listings of links by language.
- Jump Station to Resources in German Maintained at the University of Alberta, Canada.
- University of Toledo German Bookmarks Over 100 links on a variety of topics.
- World Wide Web Virtual Library: German Subject Catalogue Large, well organized directory maintained by Universitat Karlsruhe (TH).
German Linguistic and Literary Resources
- Bibliography of Feminist Scholarship in German Linguistics and Literature A comprehensive, fully up to date bibliography consisting of 749 references to scholarly works in German feminist linguistics and literary scholarship. Compiled by Erika Radenovich-Banski.
- Germany: Die Deutsche Bibliothek
- English-German/German-English Dictionary Contains over 120,000 entries. Maintained by LEO (Link Everything Online).
- German Dictionaries: "English-Worterbucher aller Art" Maintained by Martin Ramsch, this language resource page has specialized dictionaries of all kinds. German origin.
- Goethe Institut "For promoting the study of the German language abroad and for international cultural cooperation."
- Hytelnet - Germany Provides links to library catalogs of academic institutions in Germany.
German News and Information
- German Language Newspapers Maintained at the University of N orth Carolina at Greensboro.
- German Language Newspapers and Other News Sources (WESS) Provides links to a number of useful new sources. Maintained by the Western European Specialists Section (WESS), which is a part of the Association of College and Research Libraries; a division of the American Library Association.
- GermNews, J ahresübersicht News summaries in German which are updated on a daily basis. News is archived back to December 1993.
- Germany Facts and information about Germany.
Spanish Studies Comprehensive Sites:
- CLNET (Chicano Latino Electronic Network) Maintained at the University of California. It serves as a general Latino-focused Internet site serving all segments of the community.
- The University of Virginia Library: Department of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese Has many interesting links, including Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionary links.
- The I Love Languages Page Has alphabetical listing of links by language.
- Latin American Network Information Center (LANIC) Provides a comprehensive and well organized collection of links, which can also be searched by keyword.
- Si, Spain Is maintained by the Embassy of Spain in Ottawa (Canada). The service provides basic and updated reference information on Spanish current affairs, language, history, and culture as well as links to other relevant sites.
- The Spanish Page Maintained at Appalachian State University.
- Yahoo's Chicano/Latino American List Provides many relevant links.
Spanish Linguistic and Literary Resources
- Useful Resources for Teaching and Learning Spanish Includes cultural information, dictionaries, literary texts, newspapers, and much more.
Spanish News and Information
- Links to Spanish Media Resources Maintained by the Embassy of Spain in Ottawa.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
- Guides to Karrmann Library Resources
- Ethnic Studies - Resources by Subject
- Foreign Language Dictionaries - Reference Resource
Foreign Languages at UW-Platteville
- The Foreign Languages Office is located in 228 Warner and the contact person is Teresa Burns. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1723.
- John Berg is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Foreign Languages program. Contact John at 608.342.1355 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in Foreign Languages. His E-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
This pane clears float!