This pane clears float!
Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
In-depth, weekly publication covering current and controversial issues. Full text.
Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text
"Contains more than 200,000 records selected from the most important sources within the discipline. Subject areas covered include: criminology; criminal justice; criminal law and procedure; corrections and prisons; police and policing; criminal investigation; forensic sciences and investigation; history of crime; substance abuse and addiction; probation and parole."
Index to Legal Periodicals & Books
"An excellent resource for attorneys, educators, business people, law librarians, students, paralegals and others involved with the law, providing complete coverage of the most important English language legal information, with international coverage of scholarly articles, symposia, jurisdictional surveys, court decisions, legislation, books, book reviews and more."
JSTOR: Arts and Sciences Collections I through XII; Biological Sciences collection
Archives of scholarly electronic journals in sociology, political science, economics, mathematics and statistics, history; law, asian studies, ecology, botony, evolutionary biology, plant and animal sciences, paleontology, and conservation.
NOTE: you may limit your results to show only the content you have access to through UW-Platteville's subscription. At the top of the results list, choose Content I can access from the drop down menu.
Provides access to 6,000 news, business, legal and reference information. Some full text.
ProQuest Direct databases
Includes the Newspaper database, ABI-Inform and Criminal Justice Periodical Index. From Bell and Howell.
Abstracts from over 1300 psychology journals.
Readers' Guide Full Text Mega
"Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film and television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports and fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
Social Sciences Full Text
"Provides access to a wide assortment of the most important English-language journals published in the social sciences. This resource provides detailed indexing for over 625 periodicals dating back as far as 1983—nearly 400 of which are peer-reviewed. "
Social Sciences Citation Index
A citation index can be searched by author, topic or citation.
Provides access to a comprehensive collection of news and business information and law-related resources. Free training on how to use this resource located at the West e-learning center.
- WISCAT Combined catalog of books and other materials in over 1000 Wisconsin libraries.
- WorldCat Books and materials in libraries worldwide.
- General Electronic Databases
- Criminology, Penology and Police Science Abstracts
- Index to Legal Periodicals
- Psychological Abstracts
- Reader's Guide Index
- Social Sciences Index
- Sociologial Abstracts
The paper indexes and abstracts above are shelved in the Reference Area in alphabetical order and are no longer current.
General Web Sites for Legal Resources
- Cybrary: the World's Criminal Justice Directory
- FindLaw Constitutional Law Center
- FirstGov: your first click to the U.S. Government
- Yahoo! Site for Criminal Justice
- University of Michigan Documents Center - Citation guides for Government Publications and Information
Law School Comprehensive Web Sites for Legal Resources
Wisconsin Sites for Criminal Justice and Legal Resources
- Introduction to Legal Materials: a Manual for Non-Law Librarians
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Wisconsin LegalExplorer
- State Public Defender
- Wisconsin Court System
- Wisconsin Department of Corrections
- Wisconsin Department of Justice
- Wisconsin State Law Library
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- WisPolitics.Com - Wisconsin's Premier Political News Service
Federal Sites for Criminal Justice and Legal Resources
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Children With Disabilities Online Guide
- COPS - Community Oriented Policing Services
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Federal Justice Statistics Resource Center
- Justice Information Center NCJRS
- National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACTD)
- National Archives and Records Administration
- National Institute of Corrections Home Page
- National Institute of Justice
- Office of Justice Programs US Department of Justice
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- Police Officer's Internet Directory
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
- U.S. Supreme Court Decisions
Web Sites for Criminal Justice and Legal Resources from Other Countries
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
- Department of Criminal Justice Resources on the Web
Department of Criminal Justice Sites at Educational Institutions
- Criminal Justice Links Florida State University
Criminal Justice at UW-Platteville
- The Criminal Justice Department is located in 425 Warner and the contact person is Tom Caywood. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1621.
- James Hibbard is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Criminal Justice program. Contact James at 608.342.1229 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in Criminal Justice. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
This pane clears float!