Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- ACS Publications Full text of 60+ American Chemical Society publications are available through an agreement with the University of Wisconsin System. Web editions include full text from January 1996 to the current issue. Click here for the Publications A-Z list.
AHFS Consumer Medication Information
(American Hospital Formulary Service) Provides patient advisory information, which covers 1,000+ generic medications, 100 natural products and 19 vaccines. It replaces Lexi-PALS Guide.
Applied Science and Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
ASCE Research Library
Journals from the American Society of Civil Engineers, this full-text database contains more than 24,000 journal from 1993 to present. ONLY JOURNALS ARE AVAILABLE IN FULL TEXT. Please look for the letter F icon.
- General Science Full Text "Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health and medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
GEOREF "This database is a comprehensive geoscience database containing over 2.6 million bibliographic records from more than 3,000 journals and other sources. GeoRef provides coverage in subject areas such as mineralogy and crystallography, general mineralogy, mineralogy of silicates, and mineralogy of non-silicates."
NOTE: We also have access to GeoRef in Process which contain unedited records that are in the process of being indexed to the main database.
- IEEE Xplore IEEE Xplore provides full-text access to IEEE transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings published since 1988 and all current IEEE Standards.
- IoP (Institute of Physics) Electronic Journals Over 30 journals published by the Institute of Physics. Includes full-text articles and is searchable and browsable. (Select Standard Service for access.)
- Journal of Chemical Education Electronic version of the monthly print edition. September 1996 vol. 73:9 to the present are available.
- MEDLINE Provides complete coverage to the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Online version of the International Weekly Journal of science. Contains full text of archived content as well. Also provides access to Nature's other journal titles.
- Nature Communications An online-only, multidisciplinary journal dedicated to publishing high-quality research in all areas of the biological, physical and chemical sciences. Papers published by the journal represent important advances of significance to specialists within each field.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health and medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports and fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
Reaxys is a unique web-based chemistry workflow solution which supports research and fuels discovery by integrating searches for reaction and substance data with synthesis planning and chemical sourcing.
- Royal Society of Chemistry Archives Full text access to over 238,000 original articles published by the Royal Society of Chemistry (and its forerunner Societies) from 1841 to 1996.
Science Online Magazine
The world's leading journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
Science Reference Center
A comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content. This database contains full text for nearly 640 science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, etc. Topics covered include: biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, health and medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science and society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology and wildlife.
SciFinder - New User Registration and Login Page : SciFinder offers a one-stop shop experience with flexible search and discover options based on user input and workflow. You can search for substances, reactions, and patent and journal references anytime, anywhere.
Vendor provided tutorials can be found at https://www.cas.org/training/scifinder
NOTE: Users must register before they may search SciFinder.
- Web of Science Citation DatabasesProvides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
Sites on Chemistry
- American Chemical Society
- Chemistry Central
- Internet Public Library - Chemistry
- Web Elements
- Wired Chemist
Chemistry at UW-Platteville
- The Chemistry Office is located in 201 Ottensman. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1651.
- Jessica Donahoe is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Chemistry and Physics program. Contact Jessica at 608.342.1348 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in chemistry. Her E-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.