Business and Accounting
Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
A collection of three unique databases to national and international business information: ABI/INFORM Global; ABI/INFORM Dateline; and ABI/INFORM Trade and Industry.
Buckmaster Annual Stockholder Reports
Annual reports from Fortune 500 companies.
Business Abstracts with Full Text
"Contains the full text of articles from more than 510 key publications dating back to 1995, and provides access to product evaluations, interviews, biographical sketches, corporate profiles, obituaries, surveys, statistical rankings, book reviews and reports from associations, societies, trade shows, conferences and more. Additional content includes quality indexing and abstracts for more than 900 publications dating back to 1982, as well as over 600,000 corporate names with cross references to specific industries and countries."
The UW system subscribes to 40+ American city business journals. Access includes exact digital replicas of the weekly business journals; digital Book of Lists and 10+ years of archived business journal articles.
Business Source Premier
Indexes and abstracts more than 2,300 business periodicals and newspapers.
- Disclosure Reports - see LexisNexis Financial reports on publicly owned companies. In Lexis-Nexis, use the Get Company Info search box. Search for the Company, then click on Financial information.
Hoover's Company Records
"Find up to date proprietary editorial content covering more than 40,000 public and non-public companies and 225,000 key executives. Hoover's, widely recognized as a leading provider of corporate data, delivers in depth industry analyses, information on a company's location, summary financials, top competitors, top officers, and more. "
International Financial Statistics
The IFS database contains approx. 32,000 time series covering more than 200 countries and areas and includes all series appearing on the IFS country pages; exchange rate series for all Fund member countries, plus Aruba and the Netherland Antilles: major Fund account series; and most other world, area, and country series from the IFS world tables.
International Journal of Project Management
This journal offers wide ranging and comprehensive coverage of all facets of project management.
Provides access to 6,000 news, business, legal and reference information. Some full text.
Regional Business News
Full text newswire database incorporates business wires from all over the world.
SAGE Journals Online - Full text 2008-2011 only
SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
- General Electronic Databases
- Business Week Online version of publication.
- Better Business Bureau Includes full text of published booklets, directory of BBB branches in the U.S. and Canada. News Center warns of recent scams. Also maintains a database of reported complaints against companies nation wide. The Philanthropic Advisory Service provides information on non-profitable organization and charities.
- CNN Money Current business, financial and management news as well as information on commodities, currencies, interest rates, U.S. and world markets. Searchable archive.
- Ethics resource center This site offers commentary and research on ethical behavior in both the private and public sector.
- NAICS--North American Industry Classification System This government site provides a history information and conversion tables between NAICS and SIC codes. Also has the ability to search for NAICS codes for specific industries.
- Standard Industrial Classification Search Site that enables searching for SIC codes by keyword.
- BusinessUSA (formerly known as the U.S. Business Advisor/Business.gov) "Provides businesses with one-stop access to federal government information, services and transactions."
- U.S. Census Bureau
- AICPA Online Association for CPA's in the United States. Provides career information, professional software reviews and links to pages that contain the board requirements and local chapter information per state.
- Public Company Accounting Oversight Board The PCAOB's mission is to protect investors and the public by overseeing the audits of public companies.
- Tax Information for Businesses Federal government site, contains forms, publications, etc. in regards to business taxes.
- WI Department of Revenue
- See Buckmaster's Annual Stockholder Reports one of the Electronic Databases we subscribe to.
- Hoover's Online Database includes 500,000+ public and private U.S. companies, listing contact information, latest stock prices, financial data and news.
- Securities & Exchange Commission Read financial reports (10-K's) that companies on the stock exchange must file annually with the SEC. Must use the EDGAR database.
- Current Industrial Reports "Since 1904, the Current Industrial Report (CIR) program has been providing monthly, quarterly, and annual measures of industrial activity. These surveys measure manufacturing activity in important commodity areas."
- Industry Economic Accounts The Industry Economics Division (IED) of the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) prepares and publishes a variety of economic statistics on industries.
- Yahoo! Industry Center
Marketing and Advertising
- Ad*Access "The Ad*Access Project, funded by the Duke Endowment "Library 2000" Fund, presents images and database information for over 7,000 advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines between 1911 and 1955. Ad*Access concentrates on five main subject areas: Radio, Television, Transportation, Beauty and Hygiene, and World War II, providing a coherent view of a number of major campaigns and companies through images preserved in one particular advertising collection available at Duke University.
- The Emergence of Advertising in America: 1850 - 1920 "Presents over 9,000 images, relating to the early history of advertising in the United States. The materials, drawn from the Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library at Duke University, provide a significant and informative perspective on the early evolution of this most ubiquitous feature of modern American business and culture."
- Marketing Virtual Library Annotated guide to marketing resources. Areas covered include advertising, starting and running a business, careers and employment, consumer issues, legal information, electronic commerce, public relations, and selling & sales management. Additionally database, direct, international, and Internet marketing are covered as well as market research. A comprehensive and current resource.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics By the U.S. Dept of Labor, provides information on the U.S. Economy through various statistics.
- U.S. Census Bureau Web site for the Census Bureau. All their statistics are provided.
- WI Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection "...inspect and license more than 100,000 businesses and individuals, analyze millions of laboratory samples, conduct hundreds of hearings and investigations, educate businesses and consumers about best practices, adopt rules that have the force of law, and promote Wisconsin agriculture at home and abroad."
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) Mission: To advance and maximize opportunities in Wisconsin for businesses, communities and people to thrive in a globally competitive environment. Contact WEDC for: Business Development Assistance, Community Development Assistance, Export Assistance, Industry Advancement, Minority Business Development, Start-Up and Business Growth Assistance.
- WI Labor & Industry Review Commission An independent administrative agency which decides appeals in cases involving Unemployment Insurance, Worker's Compensation, and Equal Rights.
- New York Stock Exchange Latest stock news, quotes, market activity and links to investor resources.
- CME Group The Chicago Mercantile Exchange merged with the Chicago Board of Trade to create this group. Site has links to current exchange rates of agricultural commodities, foreign currencies, interest rates, indices, and special options offerings. Time and Sales data is available on a daily basis for the previous day's trades.
- InvestorWords Glossary of financial terms.
- Morningstar Online Chicago-based Morningstar is the leading provider of mutual fund, stock, and variable-insurance investment information. An independent company, Morningstar does not own, operate, or hold any interest in mutual funds, stocks, or insurance products, thereby providing unbiased data, analysis, and candid editorial commentary.
Small Business Resources
- EntrepreNet The Edward Lowe Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to championing the entrepreneurial spirit. The Foundation provides services and peer-learning opportunities for emerging-growth entrepreneurs and all who serve them.
- U.S. Small Business Administration Created by Congress in 1953 to help America's entrepreneurs form successful small enterprises. Today, offices in every state offer financing, training and advocacy for small firms.
- Consumer.gov Aimed at providing one-stop shopping for consumer information. The U.S. Consumer Gateway provides relevant government information in the categories of food; product safety; health; home and community; transportation; children; careers and education; and technology. Consumer Sentinel provides information on frauds and a place to report them. Provided by many U.S. Government Agencies.
- Consumer Price Index "The Consumer Price Indexes program produces monthly data on changes in the prices paid by urban consumers for a representative basket of goods and services."
- Consumer Information The Federal Trade Commission works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them.
- Business Daily Part of the World News Network, it provides an overview of current business and economic news around the globe. Searchable in 35 languages and has archived since 2003.
- International Trade Administration Site was developed to assist users with international trade development, particularly exporting. Provides basic information on exporting, tariffs and taxes, trade statistics, and compliance with foreign trade regulations.
For books on the culture and customs of a country, go to Search@UW. (The library owns several books from the Culture Shock series that describe the customs and culture of a specific country.)
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
- Agribusiness/AG Economics Club at UWP
- Consumer Information & Publications A Government Publications webpage
- Statistic Resources Reference Resource
Business and Accounting at UW-Platteville
- The Business and Accounting Office is located in 1100 Ullsvik. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1660. Jessica Donahoe is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Business and Accounting program. Contact Jessica at 608.342.1348 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in Business and Accounting. Her E-mail address is email@example.com.