This pane clears float!
Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
- Academic Search CompleteA comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
Applied Science and Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
Biological and Agricultural Index Plus
"Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals dating back to 1997, as well as indexing and abstracts of more than 380 publications. Subject coverage includes agriculture and agricultural research, atmospheric science, biochemistry, biology, biotechnology, botany, chemistry, environmental science, geology, marine biology microbiology, physics and much more."
Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS)
Indexes and abstracts international journals in the life sciences. Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, ecology, microbiology, neurology, pharmacology, toxicology and much more.
The BioOne.1 collection provides access to the full-text of 60+ peer reviewed, high-impact bioscience research journals. You may search the other collections but you will only have access to the abstracts.
- General Science Full Text "Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health and medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
Provides complete coverage to the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Online version of the International Weekly Journal of science. Contains full text of archived content as well. Also provides access to Nature's other journal titles.
New England Journal of Medicine
"A weekly general medical journal that publishes new medical research findings, review articles, and editorial opinion on a wide variety of topics of importance to biomedical science and clinical practice. Material is published with an emphasis on internal medicine and specialty areas including allergy/immunology, cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, hematology, kidney disease, oncology, pulmonary disease, rheumatology, HIV, and infectious diseases."
OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man)
OMIM is an online catalong of human genes and genetic disorders, containing textual information, pictures, and reference information. Also includes links to the National center for Biotechnology Information's Entrez database of MEDLINE articles and sequence information.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega "Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports and fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
SAGE Journals Online SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Full-Text is available for articles that have been published SINCE 1999.
Science Online Magazine
The world's leading journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Biology
- BEN Portal This portal provides seamless access to e-resources that have been reviewed and found to be scientifically accurate and educationally sound.
- Encyclopedia of Life The encyclopedia is a free online resource bringing together information about all life on Earth in text, images, video, sounds, maps, classifications and more. The site also includes links to a wide variety of scholarly references.
Public Library of Science (PLoS)
The Public Library of Science is a nonprofit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific and medical literature a public resource. PLoS publications are peer-reviewed and freely available online, without restrictions on use or further distribution, free from private or government control.
- Science.gov Includes more than 55 databases and over 2,100 selected websites from 13 federal agencies, offering 200 million pages of authoritative U.S. government science information including research and development results.
- The Cell: An Image Library The interactive site features still images, videos and animations derived from the recent cell biology literature, along with information about the methodology used to capture the images.
- Center for Biological Diversity The Center for Biological Diversity site includes news stories and other types of extensive information about endangered species, climate change, and international conservation issues.
Centers For Disease Control and Prevention
Includes information about health issues, traveler's health, publications, software and products, and data and statistics.
- Department of the Interior This web site includes a wealth of data from the nine agencies comprising the Department of the Interior. Data includes full text of various reports along with many multimedia files such as videos, newsfeeds and podcasts.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Contains information about patient laws, regulations, publications, databases, projects, and programs.
- iBioSeminars Notable faculty lectures, averaging 30 minutes in length, about biological and chemical principles and new developments in these fields.
A comprehensive collection of links to highly respected medical information resources. The National Library of Medicine produced and maintains this collection.
- MicrobeWorld The site includes multimedia microbiological information resources.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this handbook is an important source of career information. The handbook covers hundreds of occupations and includes information about job duties, work environment, educational requirements, pay, and more. Each profile also includes employment projections for the 2010-20 decade.
- Open Biology Open Biology is the Royal Society’s open (free) access journal covering biology at the molecular and cellular level.
The Tree of Life Web Project
The Tree of Life is a "collaborative internet project containing information about phylogeny and biodiversity". The site provides quality information selected through a peer-review process.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville Karrmann Library
- Guides to Karrmann Library Resources
- Agriculture (Resources By Subject)
- Health Sciences (Resources By Subject)
Biology at UW-Platteville
- The Biology Office is located in 249 Gardner. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1793.
- Judith Wurtzler is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Biology program. Contact Judy at 608.342.1077 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in biology. Her E-mail address is email@example.com
This pane clears float!