Many of the databases listed below are for use by UW-Platteville students, faculty and staff only. For information on using databases from off campus, please see the Guide for Off-campus users or Service to Distance Education Students.
Read the FAQs about our Find It! service.
Academic Search Complete
A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
AGRICOLA - The National Agricultural Library's Catalog and Article Citation Database
Materials relating to all aspects of agriculture.
Applied Science & Technology Full Text
"Contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 800 core English-language, scientific and technical publications back to 1983. Full text of articles is available from more than 220 periodicals dating back to 1997. Content includes coverage of a wide variety of applied science specialties—acoustics to aeronautics, neural networks to nuclear and civil engineering, computers and informatics and much more."
Biological & Agricultural Index Plus
"Provides full text of articles from over 100 journals dating back to 1997, as well as indexing and abstracts of more than 380 publications. Subject coverage includes agriculture and agricultural research, atmospheric science, biochemistry, biology, biotechnology, botany, chemistry, environmental science, geology, marine biology microbiology, physics and much more."
Biological Abstracts (BIOSIS)
Indexes and abstracts international journals in the life sciences. Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, ecology, microbiology, neurology, pharmacology, toxicology and much more.
The BioOne.1 collection provides access to the full-text of 60+ peer reviewed, high-impact bioscience research journals. You may search the other collections but you will only have access to the abstracts.
General Science Full Text
"Provides full text from more than 100 periodicals dating as far back as 1995, in addition to indexing and abstracts for nearly 300 periodicals back to 1984. Subject coverage includes astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, conservation, health and medicine, oceanography, physics, zoology and much more."
Readers' Guide Full Text Mega
"Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983 and searchable full text of articles from over 250 journals as far back as 1994. PDF page images of full-text articles provide access to illustrations, photographs and other graphical content from the original article. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film and television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news and current events, photography, popular and classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports and fitness, transportation, travel and much more. "
SAGE Journals Online
SAGE publishes over 470 journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology and Medicine.
Science Online Magazine
The world's leading journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
Web of Science Citation Databases
Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Citation Index. Together they index over 8,000 scholarly journals and can be searched by author, topic or citation.
- General Electronic Databases
Comprehensive Sites on Agriculture
- AgWeb: the Ultimate Agricultural Research Directory A collection of prominent online agriculture databases, directories, library catalogs, and topic-specific search engines.
- Agriculture Network Information Center A guide to quality agricultural information on the Internet.
- PubAg This site is an open-access resource from the National Agricultural Library, and it provides access to USDA research, including 40,000 full-text journal articles and citations to another 450,000 articles. The library will add about 20,000 citations each month.
- The Core Historical Literature of Agriculture The Core Historical Literature of Agriculture is a core electronic collection of agricultural texts published between the early nineteenth century and the middle to late twentieth century. Full text materials cover agricultural economics, animal science, crops and their protection, forestry, and soil science.
- The National Agricultural Library The National Agricultural Library houses one of the world’s largest and most accessible agricultural information collections.
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Includes links to numerous useful sites, including the Economic Research Service and the National Agricultural Statistics Service.
- USDA Census of Agriculture Historical Archive The site is a public archive of agricultural census publications published prior to 1987. The publications are primarily scanned print material available in PDF format.
Plant and Soil Science
Global Crop Pests Identification and Information
This web site, developed by the Cornell Institute for Food, Agriculture, and Development contains a new prototype of the "Global Crop Pest Identification and Information Services in Integrated Pest Management (IPM)". The prototype, available in English and Spanish, is searchable by pest or crop name and provides information for use in crop pest diagnosis.
Internet Glossary of Soil ScienceTerms
Maintained by the Soil Science Society of America, this searchable glossary contains hundreds of soil science terms.
- National Invasive Species Information Center This site includes links to an assortment of information including legal, regulatory, biological and other issues relating to invasive species.
- OnlinePlantGuide.Com This online guide includes information on more than 4,300 species and 15,500 digital images. Information includes common and scientific names as well as climate zones, height, spread, flowering seasons, flower colors, fruits, sun light requirements, water requirements, soil types and more.
- USDA PLANTS Database Provided by the USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service, this database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
- Agriculture in the Classroom The Agriculture in the Classroom initiative is designed to improve agricultural literacy. The site includes materials for use in developing classroom programs, including fact sheets, lesson plans, and interactive activities plus current and back issues of AgroWorld.
- CAST The Council for Agricultural Science and Technology publications, in a variety of formats, address the issues of animal sciences, food sciences and agricultural technology, plant and soil sciences, and plant protection sciences. The site also includes links to agricultural career and educational resources.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N.
Provides links to the various departments, including agriculture, economics, fisheries, nutrition, etc.
- Journal of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation This online journal is freely available in Microsoft Word format. The journal promotes the exchange of basic and applied solutions for the reclamation, restoration, and revitalization of landscapes impacted by the extraction of natural resources, including coal, minerals, gas, and oil.
Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture
The Center's site is broken down into three sections: Programs, Resources, and About the Center. Available resources include research reports, papers and speeches, and fact sheets on the topic of sustainable agriculture.
NAL Agricultural Thesaurus
The NAL (National Agricultural Library) Agricultural Thesaurus was "created to meet the needs of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS) for an agricultural thesaurus". The thesaurus covers all aspects of agriculture and is an invaluable resource for research purposes.
- National Academies Press The National Academies Press (NAP) publishes over 4,000 books and reports issued by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council. Many of the titles are available in PDF format to download free of charge.
- National Agricultural Law Center The center provides free access to agricultural and food law information resources. Available information includes topical resources, farm bills, a glossary, CRS reports, state publications, and the AgLaw Reporter.
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture This website is a portal to information created and collected by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), and it provides a wealth of information on current food and agriculture research and education programs throughout the United States.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this handbook is an important source of career information. The handbook covers hundreds of occupations and includes information about job duties, work environment, educational requirements, pay, and more. Each profile also includes employment projections for the 2010-20 decade.
- Science.gov Includes more than 55 databases and over 2,100 selected websites from 13 federal agencies, offering 200 million pages of authoritative U.S. government science information including research and development results.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Pet Food Recalls and Safety Alerts This site lists current pet food recalls and safety alerts.
Related Sites at UW-Platteville/Karrmann Library
Agriculture at UW-Platteville
- The Agriculture Office is located in 715 Tower. For a listing of courses or for more information on this program, call 608.342.1393.
- Judy Wurtzler is the Karrmann Library's liaison to the Agriculture program. Contact Judy at 608.342.1077 for individualized consultations and/or library instruction sessions in agriculture. Her E-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.