Web students keep site on track
When UW-Platteville found itself without a web developer in Summer 2015, a team of newly-hired student web technologists worked to complete daily updates and customer requests including the training of new content stewards. Under the supervision of Mike Sherer, Director of ITS Systems and Infrastructure, and Josh Savoy, ITS Help Desk Manager, the students also maintained cyclical events (surveys, elections, webforms, Technology Mashup) and created new sections e.g. 150th Celebration and Accessibility.
As it became apparent the search for a full-time replacement might take a while, ITS contracted the services of a consultant to assist with more advanced technical issues, and the student employees took on more project work.
Over the next nine months the student team
- Worked with University Information and Communications (UIC) to implement Site Improve, software that searches the website for and identifies broken links and misspellings. Over Fall 2015, Site Improve enabled the correction of 800 broken links and 172 misspellings in over 31,000 pages.
- Implemented enhancements to the campus online phonebook as part of an ITP project:
The campus continued to search for someone to focus on the strategic development of the website full-time, including mobile capabilities and overall system management. Web Developer Bryan Mulligan was hired in March.
Meet the Student Team
Senior Sean Morgan took the lead, working closely with Mike Sherer to manage daily workflow, perform basic programming, and make sure projects were completed. In addition, Sean served as a member of the search committee that hired Bryan. Sean graduated this past weekend with a degree in Computer Science.
The Web team is rounded out with
- Kory Hudson (Computer Science) – specializing in analytics and content steward support
- Zach Nieland (Media Studies; Criminal Justice; Forensic Investigations) – specializing in content steward support and training
- Sarah Hogan (Media Studies) - specializing in content layout and structure
- Andrea Waldera (Drafting/Product Development; Media Studies; Product/Manufacturing Management) - specializing in content steward support
“The entire web team really stepped up and showed great leadership and initiative to not only keep the web running on daily basis but moving forward as well," stated Mike Sherer, who is also Deputy CIO. "We really thank them for the extra dedication and time they put into keeping the website on track.”
Latest from Discover IT
Subscribe to Discover IT using our RSS feed.