Student-Focus Project Updates
This pane clears float!
Without our students, we have no purpose. Supporting students’ academic, social, and professional endeavors with up-to-date technology is one of our top goals. Recently we shared with the Student Senate a list of summer and fall technology projects and improvements that benefit our students. (Psst: Many of these projects will help staff and faculty, too.)
Completed projects that benefit students (and others):
Card access updates including:
- Ability to put money on Pioneer Passports via the web -- students and employees; family members as well; go to http://www.uwplatt.edu/go/passport
- Ability to pay for laundry with money on Pioneer Passport. Students can view laundry machine activity via: www.uwplatt.edu/go/laundry
- Access to all residence halls is now Pioneer Passport-controlled.
- Security cameras installed in Bridgeway Commons for increased security
- Also at Bridgeway Commons: cable television, digital signage in dining area, and high tech meeting room
- Use of credit cards in dining and snack bar areas
- Ability to access PASS via an iPad
- Electronic refunds on student accounts
- Added new on-line knowledge base which is a repository of self-help documents for campus technology. Find IT at https://kb.uwplatt.edu/
- Class schedules in PASS can now be imported into Zimbra. See OIT Knowledge Base for steps to import.
- Implemented on-line software learning tool (Atomic Learning)
- Addition of 75 wireless points (54 in the Bridgeway Commons)
- New or renovated classrooms in Russell Hall 122 and 130; Doudna 141 and 129; Ottensman Hall 129, 129a, and 124
- Completed Phase One of cable television infrastructure migration from hard line to fiber
- Projector replacements in 27 locations across campus
- Added 12 HD video camera kits for student checkout in Media Technology Services
- Increase of our Internet bandwidth from 1G to 10 G (10 times the internet connectivity speed) – completed Friday, Oct 4
- New class scheduling tool for student registration (announcement by Registrar’s Office soon!)
- Additional wireless points for yet more wireless connectivity
- Improved wireless and wired connectivity in the stadium including improved streaming of games
- Mobile App for PASS access - easier for students to use PASS
- 24-hour access to generate transcripts from anywhere
- Campus-wide license for Adobe products for use on all college machines
- Virtual desktop (virtual machines) available to more students, moving from pilot project in the spring to production this fall
This pane clears float!
Latest from Discover IT
Subscribe to Discover IT using our RSS feed.