Student-Focus Project Updates
This pane clears float!
Without our students, we have no purpose. Supporting students’ academic, social, and professional endeavors with up-to-date technology is one of our top goals. Recently we shared with the Student Senate a list of summer and fall technology projects and improvements that benefit our students. (Psst: Many of these projects will help staff and faculty, too.)
Completed projects that benefit students (and others):
Card access updates including:
- Ability to put money on Pioneer Passports via the web -- students and employees; family members as well; go to http://www.uwplatt.edu/go/passport
- Ability to pay for laundry with money on Pioneer Passport. Students can view laundry machine activity via: www.uwplatt.edu/go/laundry
- Access to all residence halls is now Pioneer Passport-controlled.
- Security cameras installed in Bridgeway Commons for increased security
- Also at Bridgeway Commons: cable television, digital signage in dining area, and high tech meeting room
- Use of credit cards in dining and snack bar areas
- Ability to access PASS via an iPad
- Electronic refunds on student accounts
- Added new on-line knowledge base which is a repository of self-help documents for campus technology. Find IT at https://kb.uwplatt.edu/
- Class schedules in PASS can now be imported into Zimbra. See OIT Knowledge Base for steps to import.
- Implemented on-line software learning tool (Atomic Learning)
- Addition of 75 wireless points (54 in the Bridgeway Commons)
- New or renovated classrooms in Russell Hall 122 and 130; Doudna 141 and 129; Ottensman Hall 129, 129a, and 124
- Completed Phase One of cable television infrastructure migration from hard line to fiber
- Projector replacements in 27 locations across campus
- Added 12 HD video camera kits for student checkout in Media Technology Services
- Increase of our Internet bandwidth from 1G to 10 G (10 times the internet connectivity speed) – completed Friday, Oct 4
- New class scheduling tool for student registration (announcement by Registrar’s Office soon!)
- Additional wireless points for yet more wireless connectivity
- Improved wireless and wired connectivity in the stadium including improved streaming of games
- Mobile App for PASS access - easier for students to use PASS
- 24-hour access to generate transcripts from anywhere
- Campus-wide license for Adobe products for use on all college machines
- Virtual desktop (virtual machines) available to more students, moving from pilot project in the spring to production this fall
This pane clears float!