If you are unable to complete your present degree by the date indicated on your I-20, you may apply for a program extension within the semester in which that document expires and at least 30 days before the end date on your I-20.
Eligibility for Program Extension
An F-1 student is eligible for an program extension if:
- The student applies to the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) Office for the extension prior to the program end date on the student’s I-20
- The student’s SEVIS record is updated by ISSS to reflect the extension before the program completion date;
- The student has "continually maintained status" and
- ISSS can certify that the delay in completion is caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illnesses.
- Academic dismissal or probation has not delayed your completion.
Applying for a Program Extension
To apply for a program extension, please make an appointment with the ISSS Office 1-3 months before your program end date on your I-20 and submit the following to ISSS:
- Program Extension Request Form and Financial Certification Form
- Proof of funding (bank statement)
- Letter from academic advisor describing the compelling academic reasons why the student’s program could not be completed by the allotted time on the student’s I-20
- Current I-20