This pane clears float!
To become a visiting professor at UW-Platteville in the J-1 visa category, a UW-Platteville department must first issue a letter of invitation to the candidate. When a UW-Platteville department invites a visiting professor from abroad for the purposes of teaching, observing, lecturing, consulting, and/or research, a J-1 visa is the appropriate visa for the visitor. The International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office will need to issue a Form DS-2019 for the visiting professor so that s/he may apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate.
To be issued a DS-2019, the application materials listed below must be submitted by the visiting professor candidate to the host department, which the host department will then pass on along with the Department Recommendation Form and invitation letter to the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office.
Application Documents to Be Submitted by scholar to Host Department
- Completed J-1 Visiting Professor Application Form
- Completed J-1 Professor Financial Verification Form and financial documentation
- A letter from the visiting professor’s home institution (on letterhead) endorsing the visitor to come to UW-Platteville, including a detailed description of what the home university expects him/her to do/study/accomplish while s/he is at UW-Platteville
- Copy of the passport information page
- Official transcript/s showing at least a bachelor's degree or highest level of study (translated into English)
- Documentation of English Proficiency translated into English
- J-1 Proof of English Proficiency Form
- Document providing permission to conduct a criminal background check
J-1 Professor Responsibilities
After being issued a Form DS-2019 by the ISSS office, the visiting professor is responsible for doing the following:
Before arrival in the U.S.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online PRIOR to visa appointment
- Prepare visa application materials and go to U.S. Consulate to obtain J-1 U.S. visa stamp in passport
- Use DS-2019 and passport with J-1 U.S. visa stamp to enter the U.S.
- Read “Maintaining Legal Status” at the end of this document and be aware of the U.S. immigration regulations by which you must abide while on a J-1 visa in the professor category.
After arrival in the U.S.
- Check in with ISSS office for mandatory registration as soon as possible after arrival in U.S.
- Schedule and attend mandatory J-1 Professor Orientation
- Pay for health insurance at Cashier’s Office (if covered by ISSS plan offered through Rust Associates)
- Report to Human Resources to complete paperwork for background check. Bring national ID card.
- Complete the Post-Arrival Checklist for Scholars
This pane clears float!
Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)
Responsible Officer (RO)
Assistant Director, International Programs
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818
What is a Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)?
What is a Responsible Officer (RO)?