Wisconsin History Symposium 2014 Undergraduate and Graduate Essay Contest
Deadline for Submission: Monday February 17, 2014
Theme: “People and the Land”
The Wisconsin History Symposium Committee and University of Wisconsin- Platteville announce a history essay contest as part of the 2014 Wisconsin History Symposium. One cash prize of $200.00 will be awarded to an undergraduate student and one cash prize of $300.00 will be awarded to a graduate student currently enrolled (Spring 2014) in any College or University. A free ticket to the regular Symposium and the banquet will also be included ($110.00 value).
Participants in this contest should prepare an original unpublished essay of between 12 and 16 pages (exclusive of endnotes and bibliography). Primary source material should be the basis of the essay. Preference will be given to papers that address the Symposium theme of “People and the Land”. Entries will be judged on the basis of originality of research, depth of analysis, and clarity of presentation.
- Qualified students may submit only one essay.
- Essays should be typed using 12-point type, and the text should be double-spaced with 1” margins.
- Your essay should have a cover page with your name, the title of the essay, the prize the essay is being submitted for, and your contact information (both a telephone number and an email address).
The following information should appear on the cover page only:
- Essay title, author's name, e-mail, phone number, permanent address, college or university, and year in program.
- The author’s name should not appear on subsequent pages.
- Entries must also include notes and a bibliography of sources used.
- On correct footnote and bibliography form, see Kate L. Turabian, A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th edition.
Essays should be submitted in electronic form to Tracey Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Submissions must be emailed no later than Monday February 17, 2014. Read instructions carefully before submitting!
The Wisconsin History Symposium Committee reserves the right to refuse to make awards if no entries meet the standards of the award in the judgment of the committee.