This pane clears float!
Step It Up 7: UW-Platteville Kicks it Old School in 2015!
"Go You Chicken Fat Go!" was the theme song for President John F. Kennedy’s youth fitness program in the 1960s. Check out the YouTube video on this page.
UW-Platteville Student Health Services in partnership with UW-Platteville Bridgeway Commons invites all students, staff, and faculty to join us on a walking challenge. This four-week program begins Monday, March 23.
Register online from March 9–20
- Create a team with five walkers. (Teams can be composed of students, staff, and/or faculty members.)
- Designate a captain.
- Register your team online.
- Teams will purchase their own pedometers (or use Fitbits, smartphones, etc.) to keep track of daily steps starting the day after spring break ends.
- Team captains will collect and pay the team fee—$40/team (fee includes T-shirts and activities).
- Teammates will endeavor to walk 10,000 steps per day (2,000 steps = 1 mile) per person for four weeks.
- Captains will submit their team’s total weekly steps online by noon on Tuesday each week.
- Visit the 10,000 steps webpage for more information. You can also access a steps conversion chart, inspiration, tips, and check team progress at www.uwplatt.edu/health-services.
Team captains can pay team fee at Student Health Services, Second Floor Royce Hall:
Wednesday, March 11, from Noon–1 p.m.
Thursday, March 12, from 1–4 p.m.
Friday, March 13, from Noon–1 p.m.
Monday, March 23, from Noon–1 p.m.
Tuesday, March 24, from Noon–1 p.m.
Thursday, March 25, from 1–4 p.m.
(Also feel free to stop in and pay over spring break)
- If you have a chronic illness or joint problems or any exercise restrictions you need to check with your health care provider before starting any exercise program.
- To request disability accommodations, please contact Student Health Services at 608.342.1891.
About 10,000 Steps
Every spring SHS invites all UW-Platteville students, staff, and faculty to participate in a 10,000 steps Walking Challenge. Any five individuals can create a team. You can even challenge other teams to some friendly competition!
The goals of this program are:
- Promote good health
- Increase daily activity level
- Build teamwork
- Have fun
What do you need?
- A device for tracking steps (pedometer, fitbit, etc.)
- Comfortable walking/running shoes
- A team: Create and name a team with 5 walkers, designate a team captain, and register your team online. Specific information will be available each spring as the program develops.
Typical Team Statistics
- Total team steps: 1,400,000
- Average steps per week: 350,000
- Average steps per day: 50,000
- Average steps per day per team member: 10,000
- By the end of four weeks, each person will have walked approximately 210 miles.
- Pedometer conversion: 2,000 steps = about 1 mile
Only count the steps that appear on your tracking device or use the conversion chart for other activities. The goal is to be active and contribute whatever steps you can to your team.
- Register Your Team Online (Available March 9-20)
- Pedometer Information
- Benefits of Walking
- Steps Conversion Chart
- Walking Tips
- Team Photos (Last Year)
Gallery of Photos from Past Events
This pane clears float!
Student Health Services (SHS)
1 University Plaza
216 Royce Hall
Platteville WI 53818
Please be advised that e-mail is not considered a secure form of communication; therefore confidentiality cannot be guaranteed if you forward information of an urgent nature. SHS staff only monitor and respond to e-mail during regular office hours.
M, T, Th, F: 7:45 a.m.–4:15 p.m.
Wed: 10 a.m.–4:15 p.m.