- About 10,000 Steps
- Latest News
- View Final Results
- Evaluation Survey for Participants
- Team Photos
- Pedometer Information
- Steps Conversion Chart
- Walking Tips
- Keeping Track
- Campus Trails Map
- What Is Geocaching?
- What Is Letterboxing?
- Benefits of Walking
- How To Sign Up
- Register Your Team
- Report Team Steps (Captain's Only)
10,000 Steps Challenge
This pane clears float!
Welcome to the wonderful world of walking!
We’re glad you chose to join the UW-Platteville Student Health Services, Outdoor Recreation, and Bridgeway Commons Walking Challenge. Walking is quickly becoming the exercise of choice for millions. It is a lifetime activity that can be enjoyed by all ages. The positive benefits are undeniable. Not only is it one of the safest and most effective ways to meet your health and fitness goals, but it is fun, easy, and rewarding, both mentally and physically.
The goals of this program are:
- Promote good health
- Increase daily activity level
- Build teamwork
- Learn about UW-Platteville outdoor recreation
- Have fun
Team step totals
- Total steps: 1,400,000
- Average steps per week: 350,000
- Average steps per day: 50,000
- Average steps per day per team member: 10,000
- By the end of four weeks, each person will have walked approximately 210 miles.
- Pedometer conversion: 2,000 steps = 1 mile
- Only count the steps that appear on your pedometer or use the conversion chart for other activities.
- The goal is to be active and contribute whatever steps you can to your team.
- Report your steps each week to your captain. The captain is responsible for reporting the team’s total steps for each week by Tuesday at noon (e.g. captains need to log in steps for Week 1 by noon on April 1) to be eligible for the weekly drawings. This can be done by entering team totals online.
Teams should be ready to start walking on Monday, March 24, the day spring break ends.
We will walk for four weeks, 10,000 steps per day per person. Weekly prizes will be awarded to teams. Check the 10,000 Steps blog to find out about each weekly contest.
- Week 1: March 24–30
- Week 2: March 31–April 6
- Week 3: April 7–13
- Week 4: April 14–20
On April 24, from noon to 2 p.m., we will have an open house at Bridgeway Commons! To celebrate our good health, all participants at the open house will receive a free smoothie from Jamba Juice.
This pane clears float!