ADVISING AND REGISTRATION PROCEDURES FOR
GENERAL ENGINEERING STUDENTS
Fall 2016 CLASSES
Engineering majors MUST have their schedules approved by their academic advisors!
• STEP 1: Pick up your advising folder from the General Engineering Office, 153 Ottensman Hall.
• Step 2: Prepare a proposed schedule (as much as possible without advisement) for Fall 2016 by using the Schedule Builder in the PASS system. Check to see that you have the proper prerequisites and/or corequisites for each class (they can be found in the University Catalog. ) Include at least TWO ALTERNATE COURSES in your schedule (not sections of the same course!) in case a course you want closes.
• Step 3: Make an appointment to meet with your advisor before you register. (Advisor assignments are posted on PASS “Advisor”. In addition, it is noted on the outside of your advising folder! Advisors have their office hours posted on their office doors and most advisors will have a sign-up sheet outside their door where you can sign-up for an advising session. It is your responsibility to make arrangements to see your advisor – many will NOT see you on less than 24-hours notice!
• Step 4: Bring your proposed class schedule sheet, a list of your current Spring courses and your advising folder to your advising session. Your advisor will review, sign, and date your class schedule before you are assigned a PIN number. You will need a PIN number to access the PASS Registration process.
• Step 5: After advising, take the class schedule sheet and your advising folder to the staff in the GE Office:, 153 Ottensman. They will make a copy of your approved schedule for your use during online registration. Your original approved schedule will remain in your engineering folder. We need the original as proof of what your advisor approved for you and also ABET requires that we have a copy for our records. Return your advising folder at this time.
• Step 6: Complete registration during your assigned advanced registration period using step-by-step Registration Guide. Note that “accumulated credits” do not include the classes that you are currently taking!
• Step 7: If a class on your approved schedule is closed (full) and your alternate classes won’t work, register for all the approved classes you can and then Log into the EMS website to sign up on the course waiting list.
Questions regarding the General Engineering registration & advising process may be directed to the GE Office (342-1711) 153 Ottensman Hall, or Dr. Abulkhair Masoom, Chair, General Engineering Department, 155 Ottensman Hall (email: firstname.lastname@example.org), or Tammy Salmon-Stephens, Director, Engineering Advising Office (342-1563), 171 Ottensman Hall (email: email@example.com). You can also also visit the EMS Advising Office website for more information