Executive Council Minutes
Engineering Hall 211
January 19, 2011
Members present: J. Clifton, B. Collins, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, T. Scanlan, P. Sealy, J. Wilson, T. Zauche
Visitors: M. Muslu, T. Salmon-Stephens
1) Changes to course offerings no longer need to be approved by Dean. Dept. Chairs can work directly with Registrar’s office.
2) Tammy provided information about the STEM Scholar and other programs being offered.
3) Fox Valley collaborative program has a new building approved.
4) New student registration is Friday. Everyone is welcome to assist.
5) Hiring update: EP academic staff positions done, EE faculty done, SE faculty done and CS in progress.
6) CEE will be proposing a new course for GE at next week’s meeting.
7) Dean’s Search and Screen Update—Phil Sealy has assumed the responsibility of chair of the committee. The committee has met and reduced the pool to most qualified candidates and will meet again to hopefully narrow down the field some more within the next week.
1) New positions—meeting tomorrow for Joanne and other Deans along with the Chancellor. Discussion followed about release time for grants, recruiting efforts by faculty, and how Program Coordinators can fulfill some of these requests. Some of this is “investing in human capital”. Also discussed class sizes and faculty to teach these classes. With the increase of students and no new faculty to teach extra class sections. Joanne shared her initial thoughts about how many faculty positions were needed as a whole within the College. List of ideas and number of positions were discussed and outlined (see attached).
2) Budget Requests—Lab mod funding proposals are due by next week—reminder for Tim. Capital requests are due to Dean by 2/9. TSI money to support general education course requests to Joanne as well. DIN requests will be due later in the semester.
a. 25% release time—Joe asked when the professional development plans are due and where they need to be housed. It was consensus that they need to be accessible.
b. Joe also asked about the faculty template and asked that it be sent to him.
c. Curriculum Committee elections will start next week.
d. EMS Appeals will be held tomorrow.
Meeting adjourned at 2:25 p.m.