Executive Council Minutes
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Members present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, T. Scanlan, J. Wilson, T. Zauche.
Guests present: M. Muslu, T. Salmon-Stephens, P. Augelli
Minutes from 10/28—Tim motion. Hal second. Approved.
Minutes from 11/4—Philip motion. Hal second. Approved.
Peter Augelli—Peter address the Council as a representative from GEODE and was requesting any news and/or articles for the next publication. He presented incentive ideas for articles including prize money for winner(s). He requested that this information get disseminated to student organizations. Deadline is 11/19. Discussion followed. Articles should be in Word format, double spaced, and not exceed two pages in length. Articles can be emailed to: email@example.com.
1) Joanne brought up teaching evaluations for this semester and Tau Beta Pi students conducting these for faculty. Department chairs should collect the forms to sign up for evaluations from your faculty. That way they can check to make sure that those individuals needing to be evaluated are signed up.
2) Money amounts have been received for capital and lab modernization from Cathy Reidl-Farrey and Joanne will distribute these out to departments.
3) Osama reminded faculty that if they are advising GE students that you need to sign and date the schedule. He recommended that we shift to the Hasker program as this is the best way to track advising.
1) IE UUCC—Justin presented changes to Replace GE 1320 with GE 1320 or GE 2030. Students graduating from IE program enter diverse fields requiring a variety of computer aided design tools. This change will allow students to select the computer-aided design tool that best fits their career goals. Discussion followed. Philip move to approve. Tim second. Carried.
2) FE & PE Review—Lisa sent out documents regarding these reviews. Specific batches for individual departments can be discussed. She outlined what the information means and what is available for each department.
3) Transfer students—Students are confused about the advising process and where to get folders, sign up for times, who are their advisors, etc… Discussion followed regarding that students need to read emails and take responsibility for finding this information. Suggestions: D2L, texting, assign specific advisors to only transfer students, class announcements, Hasker program, use notify button,
4) Group Final Exams—Only two rooms on campus that can hold over 180 students—Velzy Commons and Doudna Theater. We should evaluate if all group exams are necessary. David Kieckhafer will have this discussion.
a. Appeals—As you are finishing your catalog descriptions, please send a copy to Lisa so that she can review them for conflicts of appeals requirements.
b. Thursday, November 18—meeting at Chicago’s Best in back room.
c. December 1—Honors and Recognition Banquet
d. Wednesday, January 12—College meeting from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
e. Fire drill discussion—watch for flashing light to discontinue. There will be no “all clear” given. Also, remember to notify the Dean’s office when everything has been completed.
Adjournment at 8:55 a.m.