College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 9, 2010
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, L. Riedle, T. Scanlan, P. Sealy, J. Wilson, and T. Zauche
Absent: P. Parker
Visitors: M. Muslu, T. Salmon-Stephens
Minutes for September 2, 2010 were approved.
1. Finalize Details of Darmstadt Tour – The following volunteered to give tour of their labs between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m.: Joe—Ullrich, Mesut, Hal, and Dave—Engineering Hall, Dave, Mark, and Tim—Ottensman Hall. Lisa and Cathy Break will coordinate afternoon one-on-one visits at 3:00 p.m. (talk to Lisa if you are interested). The presentation, with dinner to follow, will begin at 5:30 p.m.
2. College of EMS Evacuation Plans—Lisa handed out information for everyone to review and update. These are to be returned to Jean by September 23rd. A laminated handout will be given to each program along with a blue bag (Ottensman only) for the Floor Leaders. Lisa also reminded everyone to have Scott Markwardt come to your Department meeting and talk about evacuations, etc.
3. Zimbra Calendar—Joanne encouraged everyone to use Zimbra calendar and list your teaching schedules and weekly meetings. This helps us out to find times with you for meetings. Also, have your faculty do this. It helps everyone to schedule. Joe said that he uses “tentative” for the office hours in case he needs to schedule a meeting. It was also mentioned that faculty and staff should let the Chairs know when they are going to be out of the office for liability purposes and professional courtesy.
4. Compass Institute —Provost Mittie Nimocks sent an email (forward to everyone) regarding UW System’s Compass Institute at Wisconsin Dells, November 10-12, 2010. Mittie would like one person from our College to attend and join a team of six. Tim suggested someone from the College Diversity Committee. Joanne will check with one of those people.
1. Tammy mentioned the College of EMS annual Fish Fry on October 8th. Mark your calendars and get the word out the graduating seniors. Students will be asked to R.S.V.P. to their respective Department. It’s free for graduates and $15 for guests, etc. ME/IE will be hosting their reunion this year.
2. Joanne asked if Rich had asked Executive Council to find students organization to participate in the first “Forever. Pioneers.-- A Night to Celebrate” at the Kevin Rielly’s house in Madison on October 2nd. The deadline is September 10th. There will be various presentations and displays by student organizations and silent and live auctions. The proceeds from this fund-raiser will be used to benefit our student organizations. Joanne will forward the email to the Chairs.
3. Joanne said that she received an email from Mittie Nimocks for Departments regarding positions. If you have any old positions, get that information to Joanne. Chairs should schedule a meeting with Jean to talk to Joanne about departmental needs.
4. Joanne and Lisa reviewed the TSI money. These are 131 accounts and can be moved from supplies to student hire. This cannot be done with 102 accounts.
5. John Iselin will be first on next week’s agenda and Dave Kunz will follow with ME curriculum proposal.
6. Tim said that the Chairs have been talking about what’s being handed down for increased responsibilities and was wondering if it would be appropriate to have a meeting with someone(s) prior to any documents
going to Faculty Senate. When this is discussed/proposed again, Joanne will make sure EMS has representation.
Adjourned at 9:05 a.m.