College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
April 20, 2010
Members Present: J. Clifton, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, R. Shultz, H. Evensen, J. McDonald, L. Riedl, J. Kile, D. Kunz, T. Zauche, P. Sealy, M. Meyers.
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes: The minutes from the March 30, 2010 meeting were distributed with the Agenda rather than the minutes for the April 6, 2010 meeting. No action was able to be taken on the April 6, 2010 minutes.
1. Tammy indicated that the Durrant Women in Engineering Banquet was a success.
2. The EMS Event following the FE Exam was a success and fun was had by all.
3. Physics is interviewing for an Academic Staff position.
4. Mohan’s retirement party is on Friday, April 30th beginning at 2:00 p.m.
1. Order of the Engineer: Please let Jean know who will be attending the Order of the Engineer ceremony from your Departments. The ceremony will be in Ullsvik this semester rather than in the Center for the Arts.
2. Transfer Student Registration Days: Two days during summer registration will be dedicated to assisting Transfer Students and their parents in the registration process and to provide the same type of Orientation activities that the incoming Freshman Students and their parents are provided. This will eliminate transfer students coming to UWP on individual days. Faculty from each Department will be needed to assist. Osama will be leading this activity.
3. UUCC Documents:
a. Electrical Engineering: Adding new analog IC course every other spring to complement current RF course. Motion by Kunz and second by Evenson to approve. Motion carried.
b. Chemistry: Adding a math prerequisite for Chem 1020 to eliminate a semester gap in math courses for students who take Chem 1020. In addition, adding a prerequisite of Speech for Senior Seminar in Chemistry. Motion by Clifton and second by Sealy to approve both documents. Motion carried.
c. CEE: Switching Wood Structures for Computer Analysis of Structures as a required course for the CEE Structures Emphasis. Wood Structures is more applied and Computer Analysis of Structures is more of a graduate school prep course. Motion by Zauche and second by Sealy to approve. Motion carried.
4. Equity Scorecard: The UW-Platteville Equity Scorecard Report was distributed. This report indicates some major differences in General Education course grades (for the most part) for students of color, many times greater than 15 percent lower, even though the ACT profiles for students of color are not that much different than the rest of the students. We should incorporate ways into our Human Diversity plans to find out why this is happening. A suggestion was made to interview successful students of color in our departments to get their opinion and how we could improve the situation. We cannot, as an EMS Executive Council, figure this out by discussing it amongst us – we need other input from those affected.
5. Differential Equations/Statistics Course: These courses are all full and many are waiting to get in a new section of the course if the sections can be opened. Rich will discuss with Duane regarding available funds for these new sections.
6. Degree Program Change Forms: Please send advising folder along when routing these forms.
Meeting adjourned at 2:40 pm.