College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science
Executive Council Minutes
April 6, 2010
Members present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitors: T.Salmon-Stephens and Sheryl Wills
Approval of March 30, 2010 minutes.
1. GE made an accepted offer on a position. One search has failed.
2. CSSE expected a signed contract.
3. EE voted to move forward with making an offer to a candidate.
4. CEP—Three academic positions moving forward.
5. Hog Roast—April 17th following the FE exam. Lisa encouraged people to attend and support the student organizations.
6. Durant banquet is next Thursday. RSVPs still being accepted by Tammy.
1. Tethered Software for Platteville and Collaborative Programs—Software availability issues with these programs. Dave shared what UW Madison has with the group. Discussion followed. Both students and faculty could have access to software both on and off campus. Recommendation was to move forward with investigation and present details back to the group.
2. UUCC—EE documents shared for dropping the cross listing of controls class and then combining controls lecture and lab into one course. Joe motioned to approve this change. Dave second. Motion approved.
3. Human Diversity Plans—Duane would like to see the first draft by the end of the semester. Discussion followed.
4. TAS Group Ad—Rich wondered if we need to be a part of the group ad for this summer particularly in areas like Mathematics. Phil Sealy indicated that there might be a possibility of an opening in Rock County. Osama would also like GE to be a part of the ad for the failed search this semester in that department. Rich requested that everyone needing a position for fall notify him by Thursday noon.
5. GE 1000 UWP Study 1000—Rich indicated that athletes are no longer required to take GE 1000 if they are in engineering. Discussion followed. Osama indicated that enrollment in GE 1000 will be limited to 30 students.
a) Lisa asked for representatives to do some student judging at Aldene School District in Texas on April 21st. Rich will pay airfare. Discussion followed. If interested, let Lisa know.
b) Osama indicated that he has had similar discussions with Dennis Cooley regarding his summer initiative and funding sources.
Meeting adjourned at 2:28 p.m.