College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
March 30, 2010
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, P. Sealy.
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from March 23, 2010.
1) Tammy announced the Durant Banquet on April 16th.
2) Recruitment program on 4/13 called The Sky Is The Limit. Watch for brochures with the advertisement information. SWE and EWB will be teaming together with a grant to build solar ovens for training/educational purposes in Ghana.
3) Osama informed everyone that GE positions/hires are underway. Dan Enz has accepted a position. The other position will be considered a failed search since the candidate declined the offer and the remainder candidates did not meet our faculty needs.
4) Exploring Engineering Summer Camp is full. Waiting list is being developed. Send your available times to Mary so that a time can be found to meet after the registration period is over.
5) Placement rates—Osama would like to discuss this following the meeting today.
6) Organization of Pioneer Passage for this summer information is needed by Osama. Please check your email and return this information to him.
1) MEMS/Nano proposal—Hal gave overview of this proposal with outlining the process through January 2011. Discussion followed. BS and BA degree levels were outlined. External comments and suggestions are being reviewed. Salary compensation was part of the discussion as well as faculty needs and how much money is needed and where will it come from. Joe motion to endorse with budget and administrative issues/concerns addressed. Philip seconded. Discussion followed. Motion carried.
a. Placement Rate—Osama discussed this topic. Parents often ask for this information. How are the departments dealing with dips due to recent economics? Phil suggested that you provide a three year data collection. Discussion followed. Please get this data to Osama within the next two weeks. The information will be collected and then shared at a later meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.
NOTE: Mohan chaired meeting in the absence of both Rich Shultz and Lisa Riedle.