College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
March 23, 2010
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from March 9, 2010.
1) EE has a candidate coming to campus on Thursday during EXPO. Another candidate will be coming in next Tuesday. A third candidate is being scheduled.
2) GE will be bringing in two candidates soon.
3) Dean’s search will be reviewing applications soon with selection in early to mid May.
4) One hired in CSSE and waiting for signed contract.
5) Summer engineering program has 17 people registered. Cap will be 24 students.
1) GE Report—Osama distributed the report and covered the highlights. He outlined the number of students admitted and also those matriculating out of GE. The number of students transferring out of GE is 98; 33 students did not return; 56 were dismissed; 5 dismissed from GE; and 9 reinstated to Engineering after appeals. There were also 33 transfers from off campus. Discussion followed. There is an increase of 70 students in GE this year over last year. If there are questions, please contact Osama as he has full details for each discipline.
2) ENGRG 7800 Engineering Management Course—Lisa shared information regarding this course. This will be a new course taught by Pat Jinkins. Discussion followed. Joe motion to approve. Mohan seconded. Motion carried.
3) Phi Kappa Phi Banquet—Lisa asked for someone to represent the College of EMS at this event. Tim volunteered to attend.
4) UW System LTDC (Learning Technology Development Council)—Lisa brought this up for discussion. Phil also is involved with this council.
5) Foundation Needs—Rich requested that each program develop a list of four things that they “wish” for that can be used for the phone-a-thon. Please get these ideas to Rich within the next two weeks.
6) ABET—Rich reminded everyone to get started on doing things to prepare for our next ABET visit. Departments need to revisit where we are and what was going on last time. Discussion followed.
7) UUCC—CS3830—Joe brought forward changes to this course. Phillip motion to approve. Hal seconded. Motion carred.
8) Electronic Signatures—Lisa brought this up as something that people should be aware of. Dave and Phil are already using this procedure for advising folders. Discussion followed.
a) BAAS degree being offered on the 2 year college degrees. This is going to assist those individuals that are place bound and possibly the technical college individuals. Pilots are going on at UW Rock and UW Richland. They will work closely with UWP. There is a possibility that courses offered through STEM and Renewable Energy may be fits for this degree. Discussion followed. Rock and Richland campuses will visit UWP on May 7th.
b) Julie sent around a contract for permission to enroll in the Fall 2010 semester for those students taking courses away from UWP this summer. Comments and discussion followed. Julie will post the list of students that are taking summer classes that have completed contracts with the Mathematics Department on the shared drive for people to review.
c) Mark asked when can students that are transferring to UWP be allowed to register for classes. Discussion followed. The student is allowed to register with our students dependent upon the number of credits that they have.
d) Phil brought up surveys that are sent out to alumni. He asked if anyone uses Facebook for contact with alumni. Discussion followed.
e) EMS Spring Event will be April 17th from 5-8 p.m. Please plan to attend. Student organizations will be having tickets within the next couple of weeks for planning purposes.
f) Neither Rich nor Lisa will be here next week. Mohan will chair the meeting.
Meeting adjourned at2:56 p.m.