College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
March 9, 2010
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from March 2, 2010.
1) Mathematics Department hired a faculty member
2) Pi Mu Epsilon, a Mathematics honor society, is starting a chapter here.
3) One hire for CS and another offer out.
4) EE Department making progress on hires.
5) GE interviewing for two positions.
6) New Chancellor should be named sometime over spring break.
1) Classrooms—Lisa requested that anything to do with classroom changes should not be directed to Deb in the Registrar’s office directly. Please coordinate through the Dean’s Office. This is an ongoing process across the campus.
2) Zimbra Calendar—Rich requested that people use Zimbra. At minimum, put your class schedule and known meeting times on this calendar. It will make scheduling meetings so much nicer for everyone.
3) Class permission—Julie raised an issue regarding registration of students taking courses over the summer at campuses other than UWP. The problem is that a transcript isn’t necessarily received prior to the fall semester beginning. Discussion followed. A possible solution may be that students need to notify the Mathematics Department by mid August to avoid being dropped out of UWP course in the fall semester.
4) University Diversity Committee meetings—It was brought to Julie’s attention that the committee meetings are being held at a time that neither representative from the College of EMS can attend. Discussion was held. Motion to change meeting time to accommodate one EMS representative attending by Julie. Philip seconded. Motion carried. This recommendation will be forwarded to the University Diversity Committee chair.
5) Student Advising Folders—Lisa requested that a reminder be made in each department meeting that people remember to initial advising folders at each meeting time. Please do this! Critically important for ABET as well.
6) Department Human Diversity Action Plans—Rich indicated that the department action plans are out there on the website off of the MERC webpage. There is a form there as well to respond to the strategic plan. This will be your recording mechanism. Identify some items that can be accomplished and how you are completing these tasks. Tammy has put some resources on the shared drive.
7) UW e-campus—There are multiple courses/degrees in the pipeline throughout the system of offering on-line degrees. Rich requested that if any of our faculty get approached about teaching these courses to please come to you and then to him for appropriate discussion so that no one is hurt in the process. Instructors for these courses are not being provided with proper overhead fees and benefits.
8) Race and Gender Issue—Tammy distributed a handout. Rich asked that we open this topic up for discussion. The statement needs to be enforced that this is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. CS is taking a policy to all classes on the first day of class. Discussion followed. This is not only an assessment—it is an opportunity to review and put into action the appropriate measures. Phil suggested incorporating this into the human diversity action plans for each department.
Meeting adjourned at 3:05 p.m.