College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
February 23, 2010
Members Present: R. Shultz, L. Riedle, M. Gill, J. Clifton, P. Parker, M. Meyers, P. Sealy, H. Evenson,
D. Kunz, O. Jadaan, J. McDonald
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes for February 9, 2010 meeting approved as corrected. Under Item 4 in the Discussion Topics, Osama has discussed the actual transcripting of the course with the Registrar and he is looking into it (rather than …he approved.”).
Announcements: Software graduate received offer of $102K (in Baltimore).
1. CIF Grants: Send ranking to Rich via email with 1 as the top ranking.
2. EMS Advising Workshops: Workshops are scheduled for March 29 from 12-1 in 207 EGH and for March 30 from 11-12 in 308 EGH. The latter session will be streamed. Donna Anderson will attend to discuss advising of those who may attend Study Abroad or International Exchange. Tammy will email information on these sessions.
3. Pioneer Preview Service Fair. Per email from Tammy, they are looking for a social connection for Pioneer Preview events and looking for student organizations to help out. ASCE is interested. Tammy will resend the email she previously sent.
4. Supplemental Texts as Course Fees: Supplemental materials for which fees are charged as an out-of-pocket expense or any other out-of-pocket expenses must be in the course schedule each semester in the form of an amount or as a range. This includes materials distributed in class or materials sold at the Bookstore.
5. Wiscamp Board and Liaison Meeting – STEM: Per email sent. The focus is STEM issues. Provost Ford is willing to send four people. Bring up at Department meetings and get back to Rich if you want to send someone.
6. Associate Degrees: We have been mandated to increase the number of degrees we award (total degrees, not necessarily BS and BA degrees). One idea was to add an Associate Degree to a BS or BA degree. Discussion ensued. Minors could be turned into an Associated Degree, as well as all of the “Pre” programs (Vet, Pharmacy, Chemical Engineering, etc.). Discuss any appropriate degrees with Departments.
7. Fees for URL for Supplemental Materials: Supplementary materials are made available by publishers at a specified URL; these are free for the first user of a textbook, but not for future users of that textbook, with subsequent users charged an out-of-pocket fee. These out-of-pocket costs need to be included in the Course Schedule. Talk with Departments for solutions.
8. Student Gender Comments: A student evaluation comment indicated a gender bias attitude. How can we come up with an appropriate strategic process to correct this problem? Discuss with Departments.
9. Other: Electrical Engineering has donated $200 to the Summer Engineering Camp Program to be used for scholarship money for students with a financial need. Each Department/Program is encouraged to donate $200-$300. Contact Osama for appropriate account number.
Meeting adjourned at 2:25 pm so attendees could attend Chancellor Candidate Open Forum.