College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
February 9 2010
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from January 26, 2010.
1) DIN due February 22, 2010
2) Physics has offer out to candidate and waiting for response.
3) Chemistry has offer out to candidate and waiting for response.
4) Chancellor Search & Screen campus and community open forums were distributed. Everyone is encouraged to attend.
5) Graduation—Commencement will be a ticketed event with each student receiving four tickets at Countdown to Commencement on 3/10. After 4/12, additional tickets may be requested.
6) Transfer student program—survey will be going out to these students. A new group is being formed to find ways to assist transfer students
7) April 23—Leadership Awards program is scheduled. Please mark your calendar for this event. John Carson will be the featured speaker. He is an alumnus from UWP and currently works for President Obama.
8) March 29—Extreme Entrepreneurial Tour. This will be a charter bus tour and should be a real opportunity for our students as well as others in the area. More details to follow.
9) Enrollment handout was distributed from Admissions. It is a comparison from last year to this year. UWP is the only one in the system with an increased enrollment. In review of this information, general comments were shared.
10) FOX 47 out of Madison is spotlighting a scholastic arts program and UWP is a major sponsor.
1. EMS Advisory Board Meeting rescheduled for April 23, 2010.
2. Class Schedule Deadlines—College of EMS was very late in turning in these schedules. We need to be more diligent in getting things completed on time. Discussion followed. Decision was made to keep the internal deadline one week prior to the Registrar’s deadline.
3. EMS—Minority Education Committee: Irfan would like a representative from each department. Please email your department’s representative to Irfan. Tammy shared some information from UW System and the University Diversity Committee regarding inclusive excellence. Discussion followed. Meetings are at 4 p.m. on first and third Tuesdays if you’d like to attend.
4. GE 1030—Summer Project: Osama shared handouts regarding this summer workshop. He would like to establish a summer event that would give high school students that have completed algebra to take the workshop and receive college credit for GE 1030. Students would have to pass the test at the end of the workshop. Students are already registering for the workshop. Scholarships are being researched for students that cannot afford the course with fundraising activities. Osama has discussed the actual transcripting of the course with the Registrar and he approved. Discussion followed. Please assist with the advertising of this event.
5. Further Discussion on Student’s Gender Comments—skipped for this meeting.
a. EXPO is March 25th. Justin asked that classes be cancelled except for Mathematics. Motion made by Osama. Second by Tim. Carried.
b. Classified staff budget of 2% reduction—total amount for UWP $110,000 for this year. Two custodial positions being held along with Career Center position and one other. With these—UWP is about $22,000 short which will be made up.
c. Class retakes—Discussion was shared by Phil regarding the number of retakes that students should be allowed. Academic Standards will be bringing something forth to the Faculty Senate.
d. Rob Cramer presented the budget. STEM building, Ottensman remodel, Beef Center, Residence hall upgrades, and all agency upgrades went forward from this campus. Timeline were also shared. Discussion followed. Lisa did ask Rob what do we do in the meantime—to which there was no response.
e. Next week’s meeting will be held and CIF grants will be reviewed.
f. Tim indicated that in two weeks they will be bringing the renewable energy implementation plan.
Meeting adjourned at 3:03 p.m.