College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
November 17, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Absent: M. Gill, M. Meyers
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from November 3, 2009.
1) Lisa said that the Exit Surveys were given to the Administrative Assistants to review and to return to Dean’s Office with changes, etc.
2) Rich reminded everyone of the upcoming College of EMS Recognition Dinner on December 1st and also to submit information for the Exemplary Faculty Awards.
3) Tammy received $10,000 for Scholarships to women students in STEM from a Dr. Scholl Foundation Grant.
4) Osama announced that GE will be hosting an Engineering Institute Workshop for high school students next summer. He has been advertising to students and parents during tours. It is possible for students to receive credit for this.
5) Lisa said that PACCE Workshops are being offered now and again in January prior to the beginning of the semester. Funding is getting tighter so it is important to get the requests in earlier.
6) Lisa said that VECTOR will have a cleanup of the “M” on April 14th with a rain date of April 15th. They will need help with this from other students and organizations.
7) Joe said that Mike Rowe is in Mercy Hospital, Dubuque, IA and is hoping to be released soon.
1) UUCC – EP – Hal Evensen
Hal gave a brief explanation on the documents and a discussion followed. Joe made a motion to approve and Phil seconded it. All were in favor.
2) Building & Floor Captains for Ottensman, Engineering Hall, and Ullrich – Rich Shultz
Rich gave a short explanation of what was needed for each building. He asked to have the information sent back to him so he could forward it to Amy Spohn. Ullrich - Joe; Engineering Hall - Hal and Phil; Ottensman Hall - Lisa, Tim, and Rich
Lisa gave a quick synopsis of information she received from the drill that took place in October.
3) Schedules for 2010 Executive Council Meetings – Rich Shultz
Rich asked for everyone to submit their schedules for spring 2010 to Jean by Friday, November 20th, and to only list classes and scheduled University meetings.
4) Homecoming Tents – Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Kim Schmeltz emailed Tammy about combining all the Colleges into one tent instead of four different ones at Homecoming time. A brief discussion followed and no one objected to doing this.
5) Ottensman 127 – Lisa Riedle
Lisa said that 127 Ottensman will be open to students like the EIC. The Microsoft package is on the computers, but not AutoCad because of space availability. The Dean’s Office will be in charge of reservations for this room.
6) GE 1000 and UWPSTDY 1030 Course Discussion
There was discussion on these two courses because Athletics makes their engineering athletes take UWPSTDY 1030 as well as GE 1000. Both classes are very similar in content. Rich will talk to the Provost about this.
7) Advising for Abroad – Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Russ Braby and Donna Anderson are doing a session on advising students going abroad. Tammy wanted to know if this was something we should do as a College next semester during the brown bag lunch advising sessions or a separate time. She felt that it should be done separately because of the time it would take; plus people involved with the International Exchange Program should also be involved. The consensus was to do in the spring and have Donna meet with the Coordinators of the International Exchange Program. Lisa will contact Donna.
Meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.