College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
November 3, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from October 27, 2009 as modified. Motion by Philip, second by Hal, carried.
1) High school math contest will be held on campus tomorrow.
2) Tri-State Math forum is scheduled for November 11 and December 3.
3) WIE Advisory Board will meet this Friday and looking at revising their bylaws.
4) EMS Advising workshop will be today in EGH 308 at 1 p.m. This workshop will be streamed.
5) UW Milwaukee contacts are here today. Please send students down to see them and feel free to stop by yourself.
6) Renewable Energy Advisory Board will be meeting on November 13th. They will be arriving on campus around 9 a.m. Tim will send email that includes the list of participant. Discussion followed.
7) Lisa reminded everyone that she is still looking for accountability information by 11/13.
1) Academic Probation Policy—Many collaborative students are part time and therefore a difficult policy would need to be developed to put them on academic probation instead of dismissal for 2D/2F. Discussion.
2) Masters of Engineering Program Growth—Lisa shared projected growth and discussed what this would mean for the program. The program would double within four years and this would mean an increase in offerings, administration, and faculty. Lisa outlined the hiring process of adjunct faculty for this program. Discussion followed. She would appreciate feedback on what people would like to see with program and growth.
3) Whitewater Entrepreneurship Conference—November 19; Encourage students to attend. There are two vans reserved. Contact Scott Skelly if interested.
4) Program Capacity—Rich was asked what the program capacity is for each discipline—i.e. how many majors on campus can you handle with present faculty? Discussion followed.
5) Dean’s Search and Screen—Rich provided an update. Some departments only have one volunteer while others will be having an election. Dean’s office will prepare ballots and Rich will send email. Ballots will be due by Wednesday. Synopsis follows.
a. CEE—Mike Penn
b. CSSE—Joe Clifton
c. EE—Phil Sealy
d. GE—Osama Jadaan
e. CEP—Jim Hamilton, Phil Young, Chuck Cornett
f. Mathematics—Sheryl Wills, Ben Collins, Mu-Ling Chang
g. MIE—John Mirth, Mike Momot, Jill Cough
h. Acadmic Staff—Tammy Salmon-Stephens, Jim Wiese (Additional names brought forth after the meeting are: Duane Foust and Jack Champeau.)
i. Classified staff—Joyce Clifton
6) Inactive Student Status for Collaborative Engineering Students—Lisa outlined a suggestion that would cover a student not currently taking a UWP course but taking a course at the home institution. The suggestion was to put this student on hold so that they do not have to re-enroll at UWP every time.
Meeting adjourned at 11:53 a.m.