College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
October 27, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from October20, 2009.
1) UW Milwaukee will be on campus Tuesday. Discussion followed.
2) Joe informed everyone of the ACM programming contest to be held on campus this Saturday. Platteville is one of the remote locations.
3) Tammy indicated that she and Osama met with Clark Dietz representatives regarding their scholarship. Everything went well.
4) WEP Career Day was held with great participation and well as attendance. Tammy indicated that perhaps next year this could be a PACCE project.
5) EMS Advising Luncheons will be held next week Monday and Tuesday. The Tuesday workshop will be streamed.
6) Philip distributed a graph for civil engineering students illustrating student quality. This information was taken from GE reports. Discussion followed.
7) Lisa requested the following information for the annual report: # of projects w/ outside community; # of classes; and # of business or community partners. Please email this information to Lisa.
1) Emergency Drill—Everything went very well during the practice drills held on campus. In the future, we need to close the loop of notification back to the Dean’s office. This will assist if only one building area is affected and provide notification to the Dean/Associate Dean that appropriate action has been taken.
2) Exemplary Faculty Awards—The deadline is November 20th. Please nominate someone deserving of this award.
3) College of EMS Dean Search & Screen—Rich distributed guidelines and initiated a discussion regarding the makeup of this committee. It was decided to ask for volunteers from each department and then bring these volunteer names back to Executive Council next week so that this body can select the members to ensure a diverse committee. Rich will send out an email with this request. Discussion followed.
a. Lisa indicating that there have been some advising issues with students coming back from co-op that have not completed proper paperwork. Also, there are students that have not carried through on the process outlined in their remediation process. She would like to be able to put a hold on these students registration. The student would be notified now that they will not be able to register because of the issue/concern so that they have time to correct the situation prior to the registration period. Philip made a motion to allow for the hold to be placed on the student’s registration. Tim second. Motion carried.
b. Hal asked if there was interest in the College getting a larger site license for Mathematica. He will gather the approximate cost (since the price with vary according to participation) and send out. If you are interested, please talk to Hal.
Meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.