College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
October 20, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, P. Sealy, T. Zauche
Absent: M. Gill
Visitors: Pete Davis, Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Student Visitors: Basia Borvecki, Josh Kalsow, Justin Melcher
Minutes were approved from October 13, 2009.
1) Tammy announced that WEP Career Day is next Monday, October 26th and she has 164 people signed up.
2) Rich said the fire drill in Ottensman Hall went well.
3) Mark said that Larry Roth, American Society of Civil Engineers Headquarters, did two presentations to civil and environmental engineering students and faculty. These were on Hurricane Katrina and Sustainable Infrastructure.
4) Hal announced Jerome Wilson as one of the semi-finalist for the Society of Physics Students Outstanding Advisor Award.
1) Engineering Hall – Pete Davis, Interim Director of Physical Plant
Pete said that the warranty period with the contractor for Engineering Hall is ending at the end of this year. He is asking the people who work and teach there to let him know if there are any issues/problems that need to be taken care of. If there are any, please send him an email as soon as possible.
2) GEODE Discussion – Basia Borvecki, Josh Kalsow, Justin Melcher
Basia, Josh, and Justin are requesting articles for the GEODE. The deadline is November 6th. Articles can be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org. February 1, 2010 is the publication date for printing and getting these out. Basia will send an email out to all faculty and staff explaining the format, etc. for the articles. Tammy pointed out that this is a PACCE funded project.
3) Commencement Committee – Lisa Riedle
Lisa said that she is still in need of a faculty member and also a student representative for this Committee. The meeting is scheduled for November 4th from 3:00-5:00 p.m. to pick a speaker.
a. Lisa said that Vector met last night and only six out of 26 EMS student organizations had representation to go over the Constitution and Bylaws. Vector meets on Mondays usually at 4:00 p.m. Rich asked everyone to go back to their student organizations and make sure that someone is attending the Vector Meetings. Each student organization should have a representative contact Lisa so they can be added to an email list.
b. Osama wanted to have a further discussion on the noncompetitive college ranking articles. Rich said that indications show this was an error and old data was used. He said Duane Ford is contacting Barrons to address and correct this issue. There was a lengthy discussion.
c. Lisa said that faculty evaluations for the Collaborative Engineering Programs need to be done, and asked how this should be handled off-campus. Following a brief discussion Rich said that Joyce and Rose should talk to Carol to determine the best way to distribute the evaluations to the Collaborative Engineering Program Coordinators for distribution to the student classes.
d. Phillip announced that after he gets Dave, Joe, and Mohan’s signature, the General Education Task Force letter will be sent to Shane Drefcinski.
Meeting adjourned at 11:58 a.m.